Tidal Fish Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

· Premium Member
798 Posts
I've got 2 seasons on an Abu Garcia REVO-S and 1 season on a REVO-SX and have had no problems strictly fishing saltwater. Like you said, "good rinse at the end of the day" and some oil now and again. If you want to stick with the 'low profile' baitcaster for that Bionic Blade rod... they are reasonably priced and maybe worth a look.:yes:

James

· Registered
65 Posts
For under $100 the Abu 6500 works well. Just got another for Christmas. I use for flounder, sea bass and casting for rockfish. Even caught a 6 foot shark with it at diamond shoals. Almost got spooled but reel drag held up.

· Registered
14 Posts
Abus are great, have been using some I bought rebuilt since 1995 in saltwater. Just rinse them down and do a little maintenance. If you check around you might find some rebuilt ones in local tackle shops for a very good price. I got some from Chris' Bait on the E Shore a couple of years ago - haven't seen them there recently, but they might get more, especially this time of year. Some of the ABUs are prone to having the anti-reverse fail, but the fix is pretty easy. Take the sideplates off the reel by removing the thumbscrews on the handle side of the reel. The anti-reverse is in the bearing the spool rides on in the other sideplate (away from the handle). Use automotive parts cleaner, or a similar strong solvent to clean the junk out of that bearing, then lube it and put the reel back together, The anit-reverse should now work again. I saved a 6500 C3 and a 6000 C3 this way. It would be a good idea to cover the outside of the sideplate with tape or something before applying the contact cleaner/solvent, because they will eat the paint off the reel.

· Registered
222 Posts
I have seven Abu Garcia reels from the 4600 to the 6500, They are great, very easy to maintain and parts are readily available if you need them. The new c3's I think have the same carbontex drag as the record and more expensive models but if not you can upgrade for about $12.00 and you can find power handles about anywhere if you like those better I have them on several of mine.

· Registered
7,513 Posts
I have 4 C 3 6500 reels and they are generally very good, but there is one negative. If there is even a slight load on the line, the release button doesn't work. IE If you are flounder fishing and want to feed out line to a fish that is biting the release will not work easily. Suggest you get the ABU's with the thumb release that spans the sides of the reel. They are about $10 more.

Green Top has the best prices on ABU's. about $10-$15 less than Bass Pros.

Kev

· Registered
3,466 Posts
I have 4 C 3 6500 reels and they are generally very good, but there is one negative. If there is even a slight load on the line, the release button doesn't work. IE If you are flounder fishing and want to feed out line to a fish that is biting the release will not work easily. Suggest you get the ABU's with the thumb release that spans the sides of the reel. They are about $10 more.

Green Top has the best prices on ABU's. about $10-$15 less than Bass Pros.

Kev
Abu whipped that problem with the record reel.

Great thread.

· Registered
18 Posts
I have a collection of Shimano and Abu Garcia reels. I like the Revo Toro the best. Whatever reel you get, make sure to buy some ceramic bearing upgrades as they'll make a huge difference in longevity and casting distance for the life of your reel.
-chris

· Registered
14 Posts
Yeah the c3's have the same drags as the records. If you are going to do alot of casting with this reel I would still go with the Record. It is smoother. I have both
South Paw - which record do you have? I see there is an RCN60 that holds 145 yds of 14 lb and a RCN60HC that holds 245 yds of 14. I'm thinking of getting one as a conventional surfcasting reel. Seems like the RCN60 HC would be the way to go.
David Boyd

· Registered
114 Posts
Sounds like the Rick Clunn is doing fine for you. To tell you the truth, I tend to have different set ups for each species or technique, mostly shimanos and diawas, but I have a coulpe of Abu's as well. What are you targeting? maybe we can narrow it down for ya'. You probably really need 5 or 6 and then it's alway s good to have a back up/ guest rods, so make that 10 or 12.

· Registered
502 Posts
I've got an Abu-Garcia 7000-C3, that's an all-around reel!! Came w/ PWR Handle, plus ya can adjust for just about any type of inshore fishing in this area. Using 16# Yellow Braid for 3 yrs and it's on a 7' rod. (maybe-6'6") Look around the sports shops/tackle shops, as they're not always avail. Got mine at DICK'S on sale for about $125 ??...............

· Registered
153 Posts
I find the garcia's , though very nice, will not tolerate the saltwater except with continuous maintenence as suggested by some of the previous posts. One said clean and lube 2x a year which I found to be required if used regularly.. So, I use a low end shimano for my saltwater light tackle use. Corvallus is the model, though may be out of production.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts