Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My pump that does double duty for baitwell and raw water washdown appears to be getting airlocked and won't pump. I know the pump works because I removed the pump from the thru-hull intake and ran it in a bucket. I also know the thru-hull fitting is OK because on plane if the Y valve to change between well and wash is set to baitwell it fills. The pump sits fairly high in the bilge, almost at water level so it's possible that floating at rest the pump housing is dry inside. Would lowering the pump in the bilge to well below the water line fix this problem or is there something else going on I'm not seeing? I bought this boat used and don't know if the current set up ever worked. Baitwell and thru-hull fitting are original to the boat the valve between pump and hull and the pump look much newer than the rest.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No Mikie, it pumps great. I unhooked the inlet side and stuck it in a bucket of water the outlet was still hooked up it shot that water across the deck from the washdown outlet. It seems like there is only air in the pump and it can't pull the water to it when it is in it's normal operating position.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Pump should be able to prime itself - that's why I suspect your impeller is worn. Putting the pump in a bucket of water eliminates any work it would have to do to prime. You also say that the baitwell fills while you are running, indicating that the water is passing through the pump and impeller with little resistance. If it's not the impeller, the only other option would be an air leak on the intake side - I'd still put my money on broken/missing vanes on the impeller.

·
Registered
5,456 Posts
Chris, are you experiencing the problem with both the raw water washdown and the bait well? Reason I ask is because I have a similar system on my Pro Line. I traced the problem to the diverter valve being stuck somewhere in the middle where only the washdown would work and not the bait well. I ended up loading the system with automotive type water pump lubricant and letting it sit for a few days. Now the diverter works fine. Seems that salt deposits or whatever **** is in the water built up around the ball valve inside the diverter. Hope your fix is as easy as mine was.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Once pump is primed it pushes water hard out either washdown or baitwell diverter valve working ok. Pump is not self priming even in the bucket. If I lower the pump into the bucket about the time the housing hits the surface it primes and empties the bucket quickly. The pump is a basic Rule 700gph baitwell/washdown pump. If this pump normally has the ability to pull water up a few inches and prime itself then my impeller is toast.

·
Registered
875 Posts
If you have one of the Rule, red and white general purpose pumps, they are NOT self priming - they must be mounted BELOW the water line to prime. (basically a bilge pump with a modified end cap). Sorry for any misunderstanding.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.