Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heading there for vacation in early August. Anyone ever fish in that area along the beach? Should standard surf tackle be sufficient or am I better off bringing a 7' spinning rod and throwing lures in the morning or evening? Many thanks in advance for any info.

Soneill
Severn river, MD.

·
Registered
711 Posts
First off...
BHI has some of the best fishing on this fine earth. It tops my list of favorite places, for fishing and just relaxin.
Ok so heres the deal on fishing...

THE POINT (Cape Fear) is world known for its surf fishing, its been compared as "2nd only to Hatteras" for its Red Drum fishing. Use standard fishfinder rigs with either whole fresh mullet or cut bait for blues drum and sharks or whatever else happens to be lurking around. The most common fish to catch at the point for me would have to be small sharks, theyre only about 2 feet long but there everywhere. Iv caught them in January in the cold of winter to the heat of summer in August. Use small hooks and shrimp, bloodworms, squid, or sand fleas for the small spot croaker whiting or whatever fish might be close to shore.
*A CAST NET IS ESSENTIAL TO GET BAIT HERE*

BALD HEAD CREEK has excellent fishing especially if u wanna fill ur cooler. I think u can rent canoes and Carolina Skiffs to take up the creek. Find a deep hole (especially ones with oyster beds) and drop a bottom rig with bloodworms, squid, shrimp or even fidler crab down. Tons of Croaker, pinfish (baitstealers) spot, flounder, trout, and both kinds of drum. Also try casting grubs Mirrolures and topwaters along the edges of the marsh grass at high tide for trout drum and lotsa flounder. The mouth of the creek to the Cape Fear river is a good spot too.
*AT LOW TIDE USE A CAST NET TO CATCH MULLET AND LIVE SHRIMP. GREAT BAIT FOR ANYWHERE ON THE ISLAND*

THE MARINA is good but can get alot of boat traffic in the day. High tide is best for using a big float with a live mullet under it. Cast this over the riprap at the mouth of the Marina to catch RedDrum that hang out in the rocks. Use a fishfinder or barrel weight and cast into the deep holes at the mouth of the inlet using mullet or shrimp, big flounder, trout and some drum there(careful if u catch toadfish, theyre nasty... lots of baitstealing pinfish here so check your bait often) Cast jigs with squid strips and gotchas off the walkway to tryn get some blues or more flounder. Try casting around the docks inside the marina for trout and puppy drum.(this is especially effective in winter when there's very little boat traffic)
*THIS IS A GREAT FISHIN SPOT IF YOU DONT HAVE A BOAT TO FISH THE ISLAND*
There are tons of other spots on the Island to Fish. If u rent a boat, try taking it out to the river and drift for HUGE doormat flounder, take it out to the point and troll small spoons for Spanish and king Mackerel, Tarpon are occasionally caught around there too! (I didnt tell you this[wink], but the golf course ponds are filled with BIG bass and sunfish, just try not to get your fish bitten in half by the gators, and watch out for those pissed off golfers!)

Good Luck and maybe I'll see around there sometime!
[smile]
-Tommy

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tombass123,
Wow, the motherload of information. Many thanks! I can see myself limitting my three things to bring on the ferry to fishing gear.[tongue] We are going to be there from August 5th to the 12th.

Soneill
Severn river

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey TB123, thanks for the info! Just wondering what time of the year the "old" drum show up off the beach? Late November, December? I hear there are no cars allowed on island, can you rent four-wheelers or big bikes. I guess what I'm getting at is how do I get all my gear down to the surf zone? Thanks again in advance!

[smile]Zach

·
Registered
711 Posts
Zach-
No cars on the BHI. It's either golfcart or bike. U can take a cart to East Beach and then its either walk along the beach with your stuff or get a little wagon to pull everything along. Its like a 150 yard walk from the nearest road to the POINT and there are tons of spots to fish. Best fishing for BIG Drum is during the mid autumn full moon or any evening in october- early november... If there's a full moon in the end of October... then thats the best shot you'll get ever at a huge drum. There's a book out that has all this stuff plus tons of other fishing tips for BHI call the "BHI fishing Gnosis". It's where iv gotten alot of my info.
Good luck
-Tommy

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks Tommy! I'm moving from Va Beach to Wilmington in August. I hope to be exploring the island in the near future. The mouth of the Cape Fear is right up my ally. I've got alot of exploring to do and some dues to pay, but this time around I'll have my little boy with me. It'll be knew for both of us, which will be awsome. Anyway, thanks again for the info.

[smile]Zach Marston

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey ya'll. Newbie to the board here. I grew up spending summers in the Cape Fear area and lived in Wilmington for a few years and am now moving back there. As mentioned before, BHI is a Mecca for all things aquatic. Also, the Cape Fear river from "Snow's Cut" on down is
prime fishing for inshore species. If you're already in NC, this month's issue of "North Carolina Sportsman" has an awesome article on the "Cape Fear Grand Slam". Looking forward to getting back to that area and rediscovering the hotspots. Any and all info greatly appreciated.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts