Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I am looking for a recycler that sells scrap lead to the public. I have tried calling a few and nobody seems to sell to the public. :mad:

Thanks in advance
Hans

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Hans,

I'd try going around to the auto shops that sell alot of tires and ask for the used tire weights. The nice ones give away the lead for free. Some of them ask you to bring a bucket to swap out... others charge a small fee. Normally they're happy to get rid of it.

·
Premium Member
26,177 Posts
Hans-tire weights are OK but are not 100% lead.Try a plumbing supply house (not Home Depot).Best lead around.Since lead is considered a danger-most people are scared to give it out.Most fisherman guard their free supplier like gold.Gun shops also sell lead but it's expensive-depends on how much you need. Skip

·
Premium Member
8,174 Posts
easy, all you want free:

Go into baltimore, look for a boarded up row home, scape off all the paint around the window trim etc, melt it down, burn off the "impuities" and viola, Lead, Lead baby!;) ;) ;)

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was hoping to avoid the tire wieghts--in the past (not here though) I bought it from scrap yards--a lot cheaper than buying clean ingots

Hans

·
Premium Member
26,177 Posts
How much do you need ?The trouble with tire weights is it can be brittle and the alloy isn't as heavy (dense) as pure lead.No big deal with jig heads or drop sinkers but with in-line trolling weights the alloy can snap.:eek: Bye bye fish and lure. Skip

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
How much do you need ?The trouble with tire weights is it can be brittle and the alloy isn't as heavy (dense) as pure lead.No big deal with jig heads or drop sinkers but with in-line trolling weights the alloy can snap.:eek: Bye bye fish and lure. Skip
Skip,

The only time I've seen wieghts like that is when the molds aren't warm enough.

·
Premium Member
26,177 Posts
Good point.I remelt the first 2-3 anyway.We pre heat the mold by setting it on top the lead pot.Last time we poured so many sinkers -I don't think I ever run out of them.When I was buying them I seemed to lose alot more.Murphy's law -I guess. Skip

·
Registered
4,576 Posts
I like using tire wieghts. The fact that they aren't exactly pure lead, doesn't bother me in the least.
They alloy antimony with lead to make it harder and stronger when used for wheel weights. Clinically, antimony poisoning is very similar to arsenic poisoning. In small doses, antimony causes headache, dizziness, and depression. Larger doses cause violent and frequent vomiting, and will lead to death in a few days.

I'm been hospitalized twice for exposure to zinc and once for chromates in fume form (occupational hazard) and would not wish that upon anyone. Finding pure lead is too easy to be risk being poisioned by antimony. No thanks.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I would make sure it's 100% lead. As Skip has said, if it's not, you got trouble. I had a bunch on lead from a telepone company (PA company) and it was very brittle. You will
notice that the mold void won't fill completly up - usually a small area around the hook eye area that doesn't fill. Best to buy good stuff. Tocherman's on Eastern Ave (in Fells Point/Baltimore) I belive has some as well.

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
I would make sure it's 100% lead. As Skip has said, if it's not, you got trouble. I had a bunch on lead from a telepone company (PA company) and it was very brittle. You will
notice that the mold void won't fill completly up - usually a small area around the hook eye area that doesn't fill. Best to buy good stuff. Tocherman's on Eastern Ave (in Fells Point/Baltimore) I belive has some as well.
I disagree... practice makes perfect.

If you don't want that telephone company lead, I'll gladly take it off your hands.

·
Registered
4,576 Posts
I disagree... practice makes perfect.
I would have to agree with this statement. Most of the under powered lead pots people use don't have the "guts" to effectively pour intricate shapes. Lead may melt at 622 degrees but you need to be significantly hotter than that effectively poor lead. Heat the lead until it "flashes rainbow" then skim and allow it to flash again before pouring.

I use a 1700 Watt pot and don't have any problems at all pouring even the largest of molds.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I've never done it before, but I know some guys that just use old wheel weights. They seem to work OK. If you know someone at a tire store, you might not be able to beat the price. ;)

Mark
1999 Sportcraft 230 C/C

·
Registered
251 Posts
I have one lead ingot at my house that I have had for years. I do not have any use for it. I would be more than happy to give it to a fellow TF'er for free, but I live in Littlestown,PA. Let me know if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
394 Posts
You run into a lot of different alloys of lead. Some are a little better than others.
Probably the best casting alloy of all is pure linotype. 94 Lead 5 tin 1 antimony. As linotype was used over and over again the tin content decreased so some used lino has less tin.
Most wheel weights are 95 lead 4 antimony 1 tin or something close.
Most pure lead plumbing ingots are 98 lead 1 tin 1 antimony or something close.
When I was a science teacher, I use to analize the content so I could make good use of it.
The wheel weight lead went for sinkers
Pure lead for mini and round balls
and the lino for good quality bullets and jig heads and shad darts
Some casters will add wiping solder to pure lead to improve casting.

One thing to stay away from is Monotype. Its just to brittle. If you have good enough ventilation to get rid of the lead fumes, the antimony is not a problem unless you are licking your sinkers or your fingers after handling the lead.
Fishboy

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
REGARDING THE CONCERN OF "ANTIMONY POISONING".....................
as quoted from the "Encyclopedia Britannica" Concise

antimony poisoning
"harmful effects upon body tissues and functions of ingesting of inhaling certain compounds of antimony. Such poisoning resembles arsenic poisoning.
Antimony poisoning has resulted from drinking acidic fruit juices containing antimony oxide dissolved from the glaze of cheap enamelware containers.
Toxicity can also result from repeated exposure to antimony in medications, such as tartat emetic ( antimony and potassium tartrate), used to induce vomiting and in treatmetn of helminthic and fungal infestations. The industrial use of antimony has not appeared to be associated with serious occupational poisoning. It is believed that the toxicity of antimony and of arsenic is due to the fact that in combination with enzymes ( the organic catalysts of the cell ) they interfere with cellular metabolism."

Other sources can be quoted pertaining to this concern of using wheel weights for casting sinkers and jigs in our lead pots ( cheapest source ). The general consensus is that good ventilation should be a number one concern in the safe handling of this substance ( as well as the fumes from the lead). Further that if any undesirable symptoms are noticable (i.e.- Headache's, sore throat, sinus irritation, the solution would be to remove the affected person from the area, and possible side effects would be pneumonia like breathing problems, bronchitis, or congestive breathing within 24-48 hours of exposure.

IN my opinion...........
The fear of immediate possible death should not be a real concern, especially given that exposure for a few hours for our purposes may only cause some respiratory side effects, as a worst case senario. My 2-cents worth, there is plenty of reading material on this subject of antimony poisoning, so do your own research, and make your own conclusions.
In my case, if the opportunity permits itself,and no one is in disagreement, I'm going to use the lead I've separated from the wheel clips, this Saturday. (probably close to 75 pounds, or more) If the wheel weight lead can provide me with the materials, and do a good job, then I won't have to turn them into crabbing anchors.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts