Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are we supposed to use barbless hooks for pre-season catch and release fishing? I thought I had heard that before, but am not sure if that is the case.

Any input?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
5,375 Posts
The only requirement we have for barbless hooks is for yellow perch between 2/1 & 3/15.

The only hook requirement we have for rock is if using bait during the C&R SEASON, Mar. 1 - May 3 the hook must have a gap of 1/2" or more, and be a non offset circle.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Go ahead and crush the barbs anyway. I've been crushing the barbs on my all of my lures for 25 years. I'd guess only a few fish become "unbuttoned" each year and who really knows if its because I'm barbless. Anyways, its a helluva lot easier on the fish and more importantly, me.

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
I noticed on a few of the MD-DNR striper season maps that barbless hooks are required when fishing the Potomac during the C&R season. Not sure of the dates though. I'm assuming barbless is required only when targeting stripers. Probably OK to use barbed hooks when fishing for other species, like LMBass, shad, panfish and all other species (except yperch).

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber
2,741 Posts
The only hook requirement we have for rock is if using bait during the Spring Trophy Season the hook must have a gap of 1/2" or more, and be a non offset circle.
I think that is only during the C&R season on the flats isn,t it??

·
Registered
387 Posts
All of my lures have crushed barbs. For my safety, my quests safety and the fishes safety.
Best of all, I also think it adds to the sport of landing a fish. With barbs any knucklehead can usually get a fish to the boat. But without barbs, I think brings in a whole new challenge to the fight.
Mark

·
Tidal Fish Commercial Subscriber - I support Tidal
4,747 Posts
<A href="mailto:capttomhughesatt.net?subject=Questions on the New 20" Catamaran">Downsizing or Looking for aQuality 20' Catamaran, Single Engine, They're Now on the Market
Wood Free and Supply a Smooth, Dry Ride (no more pounding)
Capt. Tom Hughes - Light Tackle & Fly Fishing the Susquehanna Flats<A href="http://www.capttomhughes.com/Seminars/2007/2007_Scheduled_Seminars.htm">4/8/07-2PM Bass Pro Shop

Are we supposed to use barbless hooks for pre-season catch and release fishing?
Mike: When fishing for striped bass there is no regulation stating to use barbless hooks anytime. Most seasoned light tackle and fly anglers use barbless hooks all the time.

Capt. Tom Hughes
Full Time Light Tackle & Fly Fishing Guide
<A href="http://www.capttomhughes.com/Trip_Information/Susquehanna_Flats_Guided_Trip_Package.htm">Booking Trips on the Susquehanna Flats

·
Registered
201 Posts
I just took my dremel and grinded all the barbs on my hooks. What about trebil hooks on say like a stretch 20. Anybody take those off and replace them with a single hook?

·
Registered
30 Posts
crbfisher
regards trebil hooks, i cut off the two hooks that do not line up with the lure, wire cutters or dremel, that is if its to difficult to switch them to singles
tom

1 - 11 of 11 Posts