Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Stopped in at Angler's this morning to drop off a set of boards for Grady Baby-kinda a halfway point for both of us.I almost made it out of the store without buying anything (a first ):D then I saw Penn 113H's on sale for $78.00 each.:clap: One of my 330's is in need of a rebuild so I decided to replace it with a new 113H.This is a tough reel but does not have a level wind.Most stores will charge $98.00-$110.00 for this reel.Looked like there were 6 left.Also a bargain bin in the middle has tons of StingSilvers in it.Talk to Charlie-maybe you can work a deal if you buy alot.

With the weekend looking rough-maybe stop in your local shop to get any last minute lures.The racks are stocked with all the hard to find lures.Once the season opens-it's tough to find some of the hot lures.I'm sure the local shop owners would love to sell you some new lures.If you can't fish-going to a local shop is the next best thing. Skip

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Skip thanks for the boards its GradyBaby but thats my alias now I go by "Blue Thunder" I had to change the name of the boat because there are to many Predator's out there.:D :D :D

·
Registered
397 Posts
Skip, 113H's are all I use for trolling for stripers. I've got six of them and have never had a problem with them. They can be a PITA for newbies that don't watch the spool though.

Besides, they are also great for trolling for dolphin @ Hatteras !!! :yes: :yes:

Now, if I could only find some 114H's for say, $99.00........ :D :D

·
Premium Member
26,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Given names-nick names -TF board names- I'm F^*@ED.:D At least I dropped off a port and starboard board :rolleyes: . Skip

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
I should stop by there and see if they have any 13/0 chartuese cripped alewives.

Skip, you've got to be the "peoples champion" of all thinks fishing related!! :yes:

-JB

·
Premium Member
26,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bigmall-Thanks for the compliment but our local shops are hurting and hurting bad.Alot of the owners are my friends and I see it in their eyes that business is not as good as they tell me it is.The internet and big box stores have hurt them and now energy prices are going up.Higher gas bills means fewer fishing trips which again hurts the local shop.

When I see sales and discounted items BEFORE fishing season,it scares me that these shops might close up.The profit margin is very slim.That $20.00 spoon you buy might give the owner a $2.00 profit-not $20.00 like some people think.Factor in paying employees and taxes/etc. and it's a real tough living.

Please -support the local shops whenever you can.:thumbup: Skip

·
Registered
961 Posts
Not many folks getting rich in the tackle business. Keep this in mind when you make a trip to Bass Pro Shops or Dicks and they don't have what you need AGAIN.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
I'll be honest. It may be wrong but I am more motivated by price than most anything else.

Thats a fantastic deal. Used ones are more expensive than that at the shows.

·
Registered
55 Posts
It is true. Bass Pro shops has been the worst thing to happen to the fishing stores in this area. A lot of the little shops are hurting. I don't buy much at Bass Pro for that reason

·
Registered
824 Posts
Are there any "local" shops near Ellicott City? I tend to go to Bass Pro because it takes me 10 minutes to get there, and they have a ton of selection. They don't always have what I am looking for though. I would be willing to try somewhere else if it is close by.

Mike

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
414 Posts
Where is Anglers at? I still need to pick up a few things....

·
Registered
824 Posts
Anglers

Anglers is right on Rt 50 between Annapolis and the bay bridge, very convenient if you are heading to Sandy Point or the Eastern Shore.

Mike

·
Registered
397 Posts
For you guys that don't frequent the Va. board, go over and check out the discussion about BPS and Cabelas coming to the Richmond area and the potential impact to one store that has been a mainstay for close to 50 years.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
a couple of you guys should put together a carpool and head south to richmond, take the second exit (airlee or something like that) and visit Greentop.....that is a very nice shop and they have it all. call for better directions than mine. its E-Z off/on diversion of 95. not trying to take anything away from the local shops, but it is a nice store.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
About the only time I go to BPS is when I get a gift card from one of my kids.I have since told them I don`t need any more gift cards from BPS since I try to give the local shops my business.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Skip, 113H's are all I use for trolling for stripers. I've got six of them and have never had a problem with them. They can be a PITA for newbies that don't watch the spool though.

Besides, they are also great for trolling for dolphin @ Hatteras !!! :yes: :yes:

Now, if I could only find some 114H's for say, $99.00........ :D :D
You can get near that at the big box store (BPS, especialy on the reel trade in...does you no good now).

BUT...staying in tune with the thread....our local tackle shop will order anything you want and depending on what that is could be worth asking incase it's a better price than the big box stores offers.

IMHO...the local guys need the support :rockon:

·
Registered
397 Posts
Steve, I can honestly say that I've been to BPS in Arundel Mills twice and Hampton three times, and not spent more than $40.00 on tackle. Being as I live in Stafford I would say most of my tackle $$ have gone to Greentop in Glen Allen (Richmond), about an hour drive south. I have also spent at Ken's Tackle in F.'burg, Fish-On tackle and R.W.'s in the Northern Neck and I even have been to All Tackle (awesome store!!) I to believe in supporting locals. If Greentop and BPS were side by side (which they may soon be) I'll go to Greentop .:yes: :yes:

·
Registered
4,576 Posts
That's a great porice on a great reel but don't buy any flares from them. $32 for a pack of three. Highway robbery at it's finest.

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
interesting thread

some say price talks, others it's service, and others it's keeping the little guy who "carries bait etc." in business...and having lived within reach of Green Top for over 20 yrs and then the Beach for 7+ more and now down here in Paradise...I have to admit I spent most of my $$ at Green Top ( of course being with the CCA there didn't hurt either) at the beach I almost always went to a local shop unless some big boy had something totally unresistable. Down here I always go to the local even though I have World Wide Angler 40 minutes up the road. I have boxes of tackle in storage that I will have tackle unopened when I die...companies still send me samples and new "tryout" products and I can get rods and reels for my personal use free if I ask...yet I still buy them from my local as he has the knowledge and the baits and THE SERVICE that makes my time on the water more enjoyable...and I donate a lot of that "free" tackle to CCA and other groups to help take some of the burden off the little guy when a club or Organization has an event and need product to raffle or auction off
just my .02

FYI I did cheat a little on a visit north recently, Dicks had Fishbites for a buy 3 get one deal and it worked out to about $5 a bag as opposed to the $15 a bag the one (not very nice guy) shop that carries them down here sells them for

1 - 20 of 34 Posts