Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I JUST HEARD ON WTVR 6 THAT A BARGE HAD RUN AGROUND AROUND THE WILLIS RD. AREA AND IS LEAKING LIQUID ASPHALT. THATS JUST MORE GREAT NEWS FOR THE ENVIRONMENT[sad].

DARREN

·
Registered
158 Posts
will the asphalt turn hard in the water?

sure its bad as liquid but if it hardens in one area on the bottom we have a new piece of structure

although if it stays liquid that's gonna be REALLY bad .. what's with these barge guys that can't drive all of a sudden?

where's the willis rd area?

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
Around 4:30 Monday morning a barge carrying liquid asphalt ran aground in the James River. It happened on the Chesterfield side of the Chesterfield-Henrico border, just upstream of Osbourne Landing in Henrico County.

The barge was carrying about 120,000 gallons of liquid asphalt, some of which has leaked into the James River. Emergency Crews have the leak contained at this time but it could take days to clean-up the entire mess.

The Virginia Department of Emergency Management and the US Coast Guard are helping local crews with the mess.

http://www.wtvr.com/Global/story.asp?S=4170862

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
1,292 Posts
The barge [...] was being pushed by a tug boat operated by Dann Marine of Chesapeake City, Md.,

Thanks Dann Marine. What do you wanna bet an near-empty bottle of whiskey was also suddenly dumped into the James following that accident?

·
Registered
158 Posts
isn't this the 2nd or 3rd barge wreck this year?

i'm freaked out enough seeing these things coming down the river towards me .. even when i'm out of the channel .. apparently being out of the channel isn't good enough anymore

as if they didn't freak me out enough before now i think everytime i see a barge i'm going to pull anchor and run for my life until its passed me SAFELY

·
Registered
167 Posts
[Q]Big Cat originally wrote:
I see plenty of small boats having a hard time navigating the river, Imagine trying to drive one of those things. I bet it's not easy.
[/Q]

If thats his Job, you would think he would know what he was doing.[sad]

·
Registered
52 Posts
The company that owns that barge was the same company that owned the one that crashed in may.
I think they should be banned from using the James river[excited]

·
Registered
628 Posts
With the winds and strong current on that river it's amazing it dosn't happen more often. It's a shame it happened but it could be worse. It's weird that it happens at a place like osborne twice when you would think the cut channels would be the hardest part to navigate.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
1,292 Posts
ReelMan5011,

Where did you see that juicy tidbit?! I'm surprised some want to make excuses for people polluting our natural resources! Easy or hard - I don't care. It's not easy shipping hazardous materials via large trucks but I'm not going to go soft on a driver who jack-knifes his load of acetone into the river anymore than a barge operator who runs aground. Freakin dumbasses if what they are. Especially a company that does it twice in a year! The tug industry has a very good safety record so it is an unusual event worthy of significant public scrutiny when things go horribly awry.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Coast Guard estimates 42,000 to 63,000 gallons spilled thus far.

http://www.nbc12.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=WWBT/MGArticle/WBT_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1128768418840

It is a sad thing, but it is rare. I have no idea of actual numbers, but considering the amount of traffic the river carries (commercial), day and night, I would guess the stats reflect a good safety record.

Still, a very bad thing. The last cleanup was terrible. There was layer of fuel on the river for miles and lasted for weeks. I don't know how they "clean" this up. Oil on the top. Hardened asphalt in that location plus all that traveled as it cooled. I expect an oily film for quite some time.

Dayton

·
Registered
158 Posts
anyone know who we can contact about this?

there has to be someone we can complain to so we can get this company off our river

same company, same driver .. its time to take a stand before our fishery is ruined .. i don't care how "rare" it is this can't keep happening!

·
Registered
471 Posts
More than likely they will get a hefty fine and that is it. The captain will more than likely lose his job also. But this is probably all that will take place. Safeguards probably put in place to keep this from happening after a Root Cause Analysis. Who knows the excuse, all the technology today should keep this from happening. But we all know accidents do happen no matter how hard you try to stop them. Just one of those things.

·
Registered
158 Posts
it was reported in the newspaper that it was the same driver as the may accident

how he wasn't fired the first time around is mind boggling .. if he's not fired this time around i think i'll be applying for a job as a barge operator .. kick back, get drunk, and see what happens

1 - 20 of 26 Posts