Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chris Harris told me it is between Dutch Gap and Osborne. Said Osborne is full of Response vehicles and every dive team in the area.

Striperjoe was going to put in this afternoon. Maybe he knows something.

Dayton

·
Registered
90 Posts
Great........Now we've got kepone AND diesel flavored fish.[sad]

Anybody know if this is going to affect fishing? Like kill them all or no difference??

·
Registered
23 Posts
was out there today had it closed right passed virginia power to osbourne. response boats, coast guard, and game wardens.. could smell the deisel all the way to 295

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Went to Dutch Gap ramp this evening. You could smell the fuel, but was not overpowering. As you stand on the dock, the entire surface has a very light coating of something. Then there are areas that are thicker and show the rainbow so similar to 2 stroke motors.

It is not as bad as I expected. If you didn't know what was going on you would just launch your boat and assume the last guys boat was running rich.

We will see I guess.

NBC is reporting that the river is closed to vessels between Dutch Gap and Osborne. Wonder if Striperjoe will make it back?

Dayton

·
Registered
556 Posts
I'm down at Va Beach right now and talked with a guy who works for the barge company that owns the one that spilled the fuel. He said that they are currently looking for two men who were anchored in the middle of the channel. Supposedly this boat caused the barge to alter his course and thus crash in to the bank. He doesn't know if they were hit or just left the area after the barge went by.

·
Registered
153 Posts
It doesnt surprise me that one of these barges ran ashore. One night i was out in front of Presquile at the deep hole on the point and a tug pushing three barges ran ashore on that point. The tug just didnt make the turn and ran the damn thing up on the bank, took him a while but finally got her straight and back on the way. We were anchored up just outside the channel, maybe he was in training.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts