Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am still considering buying a 3 1/2 magnum for deer season. Dick's had an 870 pump on sale.I went down there yesterday to buy it.This gun had a 26'' barrel.I am wondering how this gun would do at 30-40 yards.I have always used a 30'' for deer hunting.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I have a 23" barrel on mine. Patterned it yesterday with a buck stopper choke and put 15 out of 18 Federal Premiums in a 20x20 area at 60 yds. At 40yds the pattern was surprisingly similiar but there was more of a cluster dead center of the pattern. You'll be just fine w/ your 26" barrel.

·
Registered
440 Posts
The tube I was using is made by Kicks. It is made for 00 buckshot. You can get them for 000, 00, or 1 & 4 buckshot. The smaller the buckshot, the more choke they put in them. I used to have the same gun your looking at until it got stolen. It shot well with the factory full choke and 3" Winchester Supreme 000's and 3 1/2" Fedral Premium 00's. I used both. I wish a maker would come out w/ a 3 1/2" 000 load.

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
[Q]yllowfin originally wrote:
I am still considering buying a 3 1/2 magnum for deer season. Dick's had an 870 pump on sale.I went down there yesterday to buy it.This gun had a 26'' barrel.I am wondering how this gun would do at 30-40 yards.I have always used a 30'' for deer hunting.
[/Q]

I think I read in the advertisement that you can get 28" barrel with the same deal. Look carefully at the ad.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts