Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boat is 4 years old and I have had issues each year (including the first season) with sections of bottom paint falling / flaking off. Not to be confused with the regular nature of the ablative paint....There are sections at a time coming loose.

This year I had planned to strip the entire bottom down. One source told me the boat should be taken down to gelcoat, hit with 4 coats of barrier coat, then bottom painted. Hence my question...

Has anyone gone with this method?
What were the results.?

I was told I should get at least 2 seasons out of this process..

Does the barrier coat need to be done again in 2 years, or just the paint?

Is Barrier Coat just for older boats?

Let me know - Bill

·
Registered
549 Posts
You should have the bottom sandblasted or soda blasted, we use sand becuase you will save alot of time handsanding before barrier coating. Apply barrier coat keep close watch on times and drying conditions, apply at least four coats then when the last coat is tackey apply first coat of paint, do not wait for it to dry completely or your paint will fall off over the summer. Apply a total of three coats of bottom paint the first coat being differant color from the last two, this will be a indicator coat. when you see this color agian it will be time to repaint. Should get at least two yearsout of it before you haveto repaint, should'nt have to ever apply barrier coat agian. We do approx 15 boats a year this way and have not had a problem in 20 years.
If you have any questions feel free to send me an email [email protected]

·
Registered
291 Posts
I am having trouble keeping ablative coatings on my barrier coated bottom {worst than having diaper rash...lol} I believe my problem is that I let the last coat of barrier set/cure too much. The paint sticks in some places and not in others. The barrier coating is on there tight, what's the fix? thanks, Coley

·
Registered
549 Posts
You need to sand the bottom down to the barrier coat and and reapply bottom paint. When the barrier cures too long before painting it will not allow the paint to adhere. Should have lightly sanded barrier before painting.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Getting ready to take possession of a Parker 2510. Thinking about barrier coating as opposed to letting the dealer put on no sand primer with bottom paint. Should I just spend the extra money now and have it barrier coated now?

Thanks.

Mike

·
Registered
549 Posts
Do not let them do no sand. It will not stick. 90% of the boats we do were done with no sand and the owners get tired of repainting this spot and that spot every year.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts