Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was blowing way to much (20+) to go fishing in my boat but had heard that they Black and Red Drum were here, had my partner and his son itching to go so got a few crabs and hard clams and away we went...As we went through the inlet we saw a few hardy souls outside the breakers trying for Reds but we proceeded down the back side of the island until we felt we were safe enough....Put out 4 rods and promptly hooked up enough grass to fill our 155 quart cooler, the tide was running a mile a minute with it being full moon and all....Water was pretty muddy and I am thinking this was a mistake...about that time we took spray over the side anchored no less....We took up, moved about 100 yards to where it did not look like the current would be as strong reanchored put out the 4 rods again and tried to hang on....Just about the time we were ready to hollar uncle my rod goes down...Game on...I let my partners son handle the fish and up comes the seasons first black drum a cowboy we call them when they are small. Safely in the net and stowed in the cooler we quickly baited up the rod and got it back in the water....Probably weighed 25 lbs....Lady luck was with us and 10 minutes later we hooked another fish and this one was no cowboy...took a while to get it to the boat...in the net and safely aboard...This one was at least 40...big girth and full of roe....Water temp was 61 degrees..We were fishing in shallow water probably less than 6 feet...pretty rough where we were but this time of year before they show up in the bay the rougher it is the more they like it...Has something to do with their food source I suppose.....Anyway here are a couple photos....go getem....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
18,673 Posts
:rockingreport: WTG. I'm a little upset with your report since I have a ton of other fishing news to put on the Tidal Fish homepage top fishing story, but now given this is the first black drum report of the year I've got to put you guys on the front tomorrow:))

Thanks for the report and great :photo4::high5::fishing2:

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Congrats to the entire crew:rockon:...You guys did great out there. Now Imagine my surprise to wake up and see Randy's photo on the cover of tf just now.... and then to be reading your report..ha ha ......
You all were killing me yesterday as I was getting ready to give the tog talk and the pictures started rolling in on my cell phone...I absolutely loved getting them though..so thank you for thinking of me :)).....you guys definitely rocked it:thumbup:!!! Looking forward to wetting some lines soon..:fishing2:
ps Hey Al if you are reading this, what time is your flight back home..just curious:wink44:

·
Premium Member
4,887 Posts
Way to get after'em Dave. I can see the golden brown nuggets from FL.

Wes, the only thing that'd make this place better is Black / Red Drum. I chuckle at these guys down here with THEIR "Bull Reds"... invited a couple of them up to VA. But, the reef fishing is a blast, and the yellowtail and muttons are great fun and good on the table. I've got a score to settle with some beast on the Eagle Wreck that's been breaking me off... just can't stop him.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.