Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

New to the area from CA. I am going out this weekend to do a little scouting in the North Landing River for Pickeral ect. Without going crazy, can someone give me a basic list of high percentage lures to stock a basic freshwater kit with. I am fishing out of my kayak so I don't want to take too much. I have a few gold kastmasters and spinners as well as some small storm's in perch and shad patterns. I also have a few crankbaits in perch and shad patterns.

I also have a bait sled/bait bucket if live bait is a good choice?

Thanks!:helpsmilie:

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
With the water as cold as it is, minnows on a shad dart are hard to beat for pickeral. That said, with the last couple sunny and warm days, look for dark bottomed areas. My go to pickeral baits are 3" grubs on jigheads. If it gets a bit warmer, I add a "safety pin" spinnerbait blade to it.

If the fish are lethargic and I don't have bait (which I usually don't), my go to lure is a wacky rigged 4" senko.

Welcome to the area - there are several yak fisherman around and we LOVE the sport. Check us out in the Kayak Fishing forum on tidalfish, or on the DelMarVa forum at kayakfishingstuff.com.

Let me know if you need any specific advice about fishing the area. We've got some great largemouth and pickeral fisheries, as well as the striped bass season that is just around the corner.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts