Tidal Fish Forum banner
21 - 40 of 68 Posts

· Registered
1,820 Posts
Do we have to wear sandals when netting the crabs. I usually go barefoot, so when I miss the basket, the crabs have a better chance of biting me. Nice post, you covered everything, now I'm hungry for crabs, thanks.

· Registered
1,005 Posts
GREAT POST THANKS FOR SHARING!

Went to Solomons Island fishing show yesterday and bought 600' of trotline from Capt'n Bruce. Now to outfit a line roller etc. on my jon. I'm thinking about using a garden hose reel for deploying and retieving the trotline. This will be my first season running a trotline and I'm sure I'll learn by trial and error but your post has alot of valuable information that I will use and should make it much easier.

Thanks Again!

· Registered
1,083 Posts
Great info and pics!!

Just a small note. It is best to have a cull box that is visually different than the rest of your bushel baskets. I've heard of cases where DNR has given people a hard time for using a bushel basket as a cull basket. At one time I used to use the tub that held my trotline as my cull basket.

· Registered
1,211 Posts
To help save you time cutting your bait, try a PVC cutter. Red handled grip cutters that snap through anything. Safer and quiker than an open blade. pickem up at the Home Depot or Lowes for 10-15 bucks. You'll love the way it save you time. Also, we electrocute crabs with an old extention cord and 120. IT's super quick and they don't throw their claws. Just wanted to ad some of my tricks. You gotta try the PVC cutter if nothing else. You'll be amazed.

· Registered
15,481 Posts
To help save you time cutting your bait, try a PVC cutter. Red handled grip cutters that snap through anything. Safer and quiker than an open blade. pickem up at the Home Depot or Lowes for 10-15 bucks. You'll love the way it save you time. Also, we electrocute crabs with an old extention cord and 120. IT's super quick and they don't throw their claws. Just wanted to ad some of my tricks. You gotta try the PVC cutter if nothing else. You'll be amazed.
I use a meat cleaver to cut my necks and ice the crabs to keep the claws from dropping. Bow Movements doesn't know what he is talking about.:hysterical: Na he knows:yes: I do plumbing work all day and don't want to look at those PVC cutters any more:eek2: and I hate electricity and water together but it is VERY effective.:thumbup:...................Gary

· Registered
4,841 Posts
I chopem and catchem and iceem and steamem!

But to each his own! I am a chicken neccka not a comm.

Gettem!

· Premium Member
8,786 Posts
This is one of the finest posts that I have seen put together on Tidal Fish. Thanks for taking the time to do it. It's worth of making and article for the main article section on Tidal Fish. I'll work on that this week.

Thanks again for taking the time to put it together, hugely useful!:thumbup:

· Registered
3,522 Posts
This is one of the finest posts that I have seen put together on Tidal Fish. Thanks for taking the time to do it. It's worth of making and article for the main article section on Tidal Fish. I'll work on that this week.

Thanks again for taking the time to put it together, hugely useful!:thumbup:
Good Deal

Fisheyed also put together annother exellent post about making a trotline that one is also worthy of an article if posible.
a lot of work went into these

here it is
http://www.tidalfish.com/forums/showthread.php/298637-How-to-Make-a-Trotline

21 - 40 of 68 Posts