Tidal Fish Forum banner
61 - 68 of 68 Posts

· Registered
567 Posts
Great Article. Here is my 2 cents worth. With chicken necks, I put a bait about every 6 ft. on the trot line. 1200' line equals about 200 baits. A 40 lb box will let you make several lines. I advise newbies to net on outside of line so as to not pull line off of roller. I wish I had this article when I first started crabbing. Very informative. One more thing...It takes about 2 - 3 beers to bait a trot line.

· Registered
16 Posts
Hey there, snoods or no snoods? if not using snoods, how are you tying the necks on?

my line has snoods but they get caught in the prop stick at times, and i feel this may be shaking the crabs off our line... I also hate the fact that when a crab steals a bait, the fuel hose tends to fall off into the river adding to the garbage floating around in it...

ps, I went last Saturday south of the rt. 4 pax river bridge in 8-11 ft of water, the tide was supposedly outgoing but it was hard to tell if the section i was in had much movement. we only caught one damn crab lol. hopefully it picks up soon!

thanks!!

· Registered
358 Posts
I tie my own snoods and put a knot in the snood so the rubber can't fall off. Most the lines I see that are for sale don't have this so the piece of rubber fuel hose occasionally falls off. Snood line is the way to go as it keeps the bait deeper in water as you run your line and the bungee absorbs the vibration of the bait going over your prop stick. Snood lines catch more crabs

· Registered
20 Posts
Hey there, snoods or no snoods? if not using snoods, how are you tying the necks on?

my line has snoods but they get caught in the prop stick at times, and i feel this may be shaking the crabs off our line... I also hate the fact that when a crab steals a bait, the fuel hose tends to fall off into the river adding to the garbage floating around in it...

ps, I went last Saturday south of the rt. 4 pax river bridge in 8-11 ft of water, the tide was supposedly outgoing but it was hard to tell if the section i was in had much movement. we only caught one damn crab lol. hopefully it picks up soon!

thanks!!
I do pretty good without snoods. Just slipknots. And the big advantage to slipknots is when you wanna de-bait (if using chicken necks) just tie one end of line to a boat cleat while your anchor, float and chain is still on other end and drag line about 5-7 mph about 100 yards. Slip knots pull through baits and line is clean. This video shows how to tie a slipknot.

61 - 68 of 68 Posts