Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am gonna take a friend from work bass fishin in the am. I told him to be at the house at 5:00 am. My plans are to fish the lake in the quarry first. The water is clear in there and the bite is much better when the sun is low.

When the bite slows I plan to move to the "stick pond" and fish. The water is discolored in there but has been clearing up some in recent weeks. I have a turbidity curtain separating it from the pasture pond. An old breech in the dam allows dirty water to move into the stick pond. The turbidity curtain was pulled loose at one end from heavy spring rains but I put it back a couple months ago.

There is good structure in the stick pond. It is good for fishing spinnerbaits and plastic worms. The "pit" has no woody structure except for a few cedar trees I submerged. There are some shallow bars and drop offs which fish use as staging areas to ambush bait.

Aquatic plants are growing rapidly and fishing spinnerbaits and weighted plastic worms is near impossible. The ticket for that lake is going to be topwater, shallow diving stickbaits and floating plastic worms.

Last time I took my friend fishing the spawn still had the larger fish in limbo. Two weeks ago I went and started catching some better fish in the 4-5 pound range. He still had fun and said it was in the top two best bass fishing days of his life and he is in his 50's! I am confident that we will catch some good fish in the morning. If I catch one over 8 pounds I will post a picture.

-Kepone

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
We were on the water at 5 am. My first 2 casts caught a bass on topwater. I had strikes on my 3rd and 4th casts and missed them. Caught one on my fifth cast and Ray had not even tied his lure on yet. It was so dark I had to tie it for him. We had 20 bass by 8 am. When we quit fishing the lake we ended up with 28 bass (C&R). Several in the 3-4 pound range.

Fishing was tough in the pond. Water was still muddy. We caught 12 in there. The biggest was caught on topwater by Ray. It was 5 lbs. 10 oz. We were done fishing by around 11:15 or so. We probably lost or missed 15-20 bass all day. We had 40 all together. Should of had 50-60 fish.

The weather was excellent. It is nice to get up early and watch the sun rise and all the birds start singing.

-Kepone

1 - 2 of 2 Posts