Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name is Stacey S. and i am a student at Harrisburg University of Science and Technology. I am doing a class research project along side of two other classmates are doing a project on the epidemic that is effecting the small-mouth bass in the susquehanna and juniata rivers. I have a short questionnare and all g.p.s. readings and locations will be kept in strict confidence and not published.
1. How long have you been working in the area as a professional fisherman?
If an amature how long have you been fishing in the area?
2. where do you primarily fish? (gps/locations)
3. number from log books?
4. have some fishing locations been hit harder than others?
5. year to year have you noticed a decline in the small-mouth bass population?
6. Size and health of fish and how are you judging that?
7.Any signs of bacteria attacking the fish?(sores ect..)
8. Any signs of pollutants in the water?
9. Any comments youhave or insights will be welcomed
10.what is your email and may we contact you if we have any questions?

you can respond to this post either here on this sight or my email directly at [email protected]
thank you for any insight you can share:) and may your line always have a fish on it!
this is soley for eduactional research to shed some light on the declining small-mouth bass population concerning the susquehanna and juniata rivers

·
Registered
115 Posts
Stacey, if you are serious on this project. Here are some pointers, most smallmouth fishing is done in the late fall and early spring , water temps and the flow of water in the Susquehanna are crucial to the smallmouth bite.. Most guides have their spots , but many don't use GPS like bay fishing , they fish structure, Try going to a tackle store in Pa. and get some guides phone #'s and ask them to participate. when there is not enough water flowing in the river the water temp rises effecting the oxygen level, when there is to much rain and the river rises , the runoff from upstream, you have any number of pollutants , which stress the fish. Most of us are aware of the run off of a certain pollutant this past summer linked to the farming community that has devastated the smallmouth. I think most people on this site would be very interested in your findings, good luck!!!!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Stacey, I guide on the upper Susquehanna mostly spring and fall, I think most of the problems with sick fish pertain to all the runoff from NY and Pa. the river is such a massive watershed that rain pulls farm,city,industrial, etc. runoff . This ends up in the river and come late spring to late summer the water flow is non-exsistent which could cause bacterial explosions due to higher water temps and no constant flushing of the river. River smallmouth live in a harsh enviroment the spawn can be affected by high water, cold water, floods , drop in river levels, etc.. The fishing has declined in the past 4-5 years due to bad spawns and possibly pollution affecting young fish. If you want to contact me my E-mail is [email protected]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts