Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a used boat last year, he did tell me the one battey was a year old, the other battery took a dump on me,, so my question is what battery do i need to buy. deep cycle or starting. no trolling motor the only thing i run when motor is shut off is a gps. what is the setup i should have, anything wrong with having 2 starting batteries, thanks

·
Registered
14,338 Posts
Nothing wrong at all with 2 starting batteries. Get a dual battery switch and run on one battery and switch to the other when you are running your electronics. Remember to switch back so you can charge the running battery on the way in..............Gary

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Two starting batteries will do the trick....a GPS doesn't use that much juice......use one battery one day, the other the next day, cycles them both thru charge discharge and you always have a hot spare.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support TidalFish.com!
7,173 Posts
Replace both batteries at the same time and then continue the cycle every 3 years. The weaker battery pulls down the strong one unless they are equal. Good batteries - great investment. I only run Interstate marine batteries.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
5,686 Posts
Eminent Brother
I hate to say this but West Marine has a pretty good special going on daul purpose batteries until the end of tghe month. My boat came with one starter battery and one deep cycle battery. But I typically go with one starting battery and one dual purpose battery. I also added a battert saver because I hold the TF record for dead batteries.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I am using the Cabela's AGM ( Absorbed Glass Mat ) Batteries rigged with a Cole Hersey battery selector switch. The Batteries provide 1100 Cold Cranking amps each. They spin my 150 hp yamaha outboard over so fast it cant help but start. They are 3 years old now and are still going strong. These are by far the best marine batteries i have ever used in 30 years of boating. They are expensive, but well worth the money. I bought mine when they were on a special sale price.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
never switch batteries while engines are running.
I've been told that without the correct switch, that switching with the motor(s) running can cause the diodes in the alternator to blow. There is a switch that is protected -- I think it is Blue-Seas --- Not completely sure though. Adam from Mid-shore Electronics told me about them.

·
Registered
14,338 Posts
Dumb question, what is the main difference between starting, dual purpose, AGM and deep cycle batteries?
A starting battery has a higher cranking amperage for more short term cranking power to start a motor. A deep cycle battery is used for sustained lower amperage usage such as 12 volt lights,live wells and electronics...........Gary

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Dumb question, what is the main difference between starting, dual purpose, AGM and deep cycle batteries?
Starting batteries have thin plates and are made to produce a lot of cranking amps quickly. They are designed to be kept charged as running them down will damage them.
Deep Cycle are wet batteries. They require maintenance by adding water and have thicker plates. This makes them pretty heavy but they can be ran down and recharged many times. Large enough deep cycles can be used as a starting battery.
Dual Purpose is what it states. Can be used for both applications but does not excel at either.
AGM are the best all around. They require no maintenance, can be cycled many times, provide high cranking power, and are more resistant to vibrations which is a battery killer. They also cost about twice as much as a regular battery.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I went to the sears diehard platinum marine AMG's. Yes they are expensive, but the sears are made by optima batteries so they are the same and come with a 3 year warranty. Can't beat that in my opinion. I use to have deka's and was very please with them but they only come with a 1 year warranty. Also a lot more sears auto places around then Deka and Cabela's if you would have to exchange them.

·
Registered
126 Posts
The problem of switching batteries while the engine is running occurs only if you cycle through the off position with most battery switches. Most switches I have seen stay connected in all positions and in between unless you cycle through the Off.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.