Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a reservoir boat that has a 24V system for the bowmount trolling motor and a 36V system for the MinnKota Vantage 101 on the stern.

I'm looking for a good battery charger. At BassProShops.com, they have a 2/10/15 amp 12V charger and a 2/10/20/35 amp 12V charger.

Can anyone shed some light for me on what the difference in these charges is?

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Are you talking about an on-board charger or a regular, got to hook it up each time) charger? This spring, I installed a two bank on-board charger. Nice, just plug up ext. cord and forget it. If you can spring for it, I would get two seperate onboard chargers. A two bank and a three bank.

www.bassboatcentral.com has lots of info about chargers. Also, check out www.bassjons.com you should find lots of info there.

Good luck.

Dayton

·
Registered
122 Posts
[Q]Eric Branger originally wrote:
2/10/15 amp 12V charger and a 2/10/20/35 amp 12V charger.

Can anyone shed some light for me on what the difference in these charges is?
[/Q]

The numbers (2/10/15) indicate the amperage the unit puts out. The higher the number, the faster it will charge the battery. It is not as simple as just pumping more amps into a battery though, because you can overheat the battery and make it boil. Modern battery chargers usually automatically drop the amperage down as the battery gets to full charge, which help prevent overloading the battery.

Since you have 24 (two 12 volt batteries) and 36 (three 12 volt batteries) volt systems you will have to discunnect the batteries from each other before charging. This can be a pain in the butt!

See if you can find a 24 & 36 volt charger.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts