Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
My Interstate battery connection changed jobs so I need to figure something out here.

My boat started a little slower than normal this morning and after a load test one of my batteries is bad, the other one probably not far behind. (That's just me guessing) Obviously, I want to replace them both.

I was thinking about spending the $$$ and getting Optima but there seems to be considerable conficting reports on the value prop of these so far.

So, what batteries do you guys use now, and, where is the cheapest place to get them?

Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
I installed 2 new Optima blue tops in mine 3 seasons ago and have never had an issue. Boat has sit in the storage lot for 4-5 months at a time and they still crank right up. Good investment IMO

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
I installed 2 new Optima blue tops in mine 3 seasons ago and have never had an issue. Boat has sit in the storage lot for 4-5 months at a time and they still crank right up. Good investment IMO
I do the same thing with my Everstarts (Walmart store brand), for much less $$$ , they are also 3 seasons old now, the older ones were made by Exide & the newer ones are now made by Johnson Controls (Johnson Controls also makes the Optima batteries)
I can buy 3 Everstarts for the price of 1 Optima

Johnson controls & Exide are the major manufacturers of batteries in the US,
most of your store branded batteries ,Walmart, Sears, Autozone, Interstate etc. are made by one of these companies

Interstate=Johnson controls
walmart everstart=Johnson controls
Sears Diehard===Johnson controls
Kirkland (costco)==Johnson controls
Duralast (auto zone)==Johnson controls

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I went to my Interstate battery dealer who sells Optima's to buy one. He told me to spend my money however I want, but that he was not seeing any real advantage over the conventional batteries for the same reason rj stated. I stuck with conventional.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
I do the same thing with my Everstarts (Walmart store brand), for much less $$$ , they are also 3 seasons old now, the older ones were made by Exide & the newer ones are now made by Johnson Controls (Johnson Controls also makes the Optima batteries)

most of your store branded batteries ,Walmart, Sears, Autozone, Interstate etc. are made by one of these companies
AND - if you do have a problem with one, take it back to walmart and Suzy Q customer service girl doesn't care a bit in the world to give you a brand new one.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts

Concur. I've got Wal-Mart batteries in everything-boat, RV, daily driver, spare truck #1, spare truck #2, and tractor. Some of them are 6-7 years old and still doing fine(though i doubt I'll get much more out of the old ones). Only advantage I can see to the Optima option is in aircraft subjected to unusual attitudes where the glass-mat format is superior to the flooded lead plate style when it comes to spillage. That being said-buy what makes you happy, a lot of folks are comfortable with big brands and we all need to sleep at night.
Pat in Joppa

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
I put an Optima battery in the truck 5 years ago. The battery was only a year old when I came out one morning and found the battery completely dead. I tried to charge it but the battery was shorted internally. When I took it back to get a replacement, the guy at the counter told me to sit it over there with all the other dead ones and pointed at a large pile of dead Optimas sitting in the corner.

I still have the replacement but it's getting tired and is starting to groan on cold mornings. Back to regular batteries after this one takes a dump

·
Registered
Koah Roller Speargun, 100 Euro
2,937 Posts
As mentioned above, Walmart has changed who manufactures their batteries. Along with the manufacturer change was also a change in their warranty policy. I think the old policy was prorated over 108 months, with a 100% credit given in the first 36 months. The new warranty is now only 36 months, but it is a 100% coverage through the entire 36 months. Also, any warranty claims under the old 108 month coverage will be switched over to the new 36 month policy, up to the # months remaining under your old warranty. I just went through this with 2 Walmart batteries I have installed in my diesel F-350. Walmart does not carry a true 'deep cycle' battery. I think their Marine/RV battery is a hydrid (deep cycle-starting) type battery, so it may or may not be the best application for some boaters. Hard to beat their price and warranty claims process. As far as car/light truck battery ratings go, the Nov 2010 issue of Consumer Reports once again has rated Walmart's EverStart and Costco's Kirkland batteries as 'best buys'. Both of them also carry marine/rv batteries as well.....Don

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Optima's are AGM type batteries. AGM types are worth the extra money since they have the convenience of being maintenance free. They also can be deep discharged multiple times and yet still provide instant cranking power . Optima is just a fancy AGM type. You can get AGM's at Interstate or wherever but they will be a little more expensive.

·
Premium Member
2,412 Posts
FWIW....

I used costco deep cycle batteries in a reservoir rig I built, they didn't last too long despite being deep cycle. WalMart deep cycle did marginally better, possible wiring/connection issue not with standing I didn't see either as being very reliable. In my current boat I killed an overpriced WestMarine starting battery and now have a WalMart starting battery (only place that was open at 4AM when I needed one) and so fart the WalMart starting battery has been rock solid. My deep cycles are now Cabelas AGM's and they have been awesome.

TIGHT LINES!!!

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Good to information to know. I have thought about the Optimas, but the price was just way too high so I went to Walmart like most everone else. I have had some issues with the longevity of Walmart batteries (two failures in as many years, but as noted, they do have a good warranty policy) so the last one I bought for my van came from Costco. It's less than 1 year old so I will have to wait and see on it.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Sears Diehard AMG's are made by optimas for about 100 bucks less. It is also easy to find a sear's to replace them if they do go bad. Plus they have a 3 year warranty. Just switch over all four of my boat batteries to them. Pricey up front, but when you 60 miles out I now have a little more piece of mind. Funny how we will spend thousands on electronics, rod, and reel and g try and save on the one thing that brings you home. Not trying to start an argument just my 2 cents.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support TidalFish.com!
7,173 Posts
Chad - Thanks for sharing that about Sears. Won't be any problems with the warranty, for sure.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts