Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boat is a Sea Pro 235CC with a Yamaha F225.

I am considering moving my batteries from their current location in the bilge to under the center console where the porta-potty is, that never gets used.

The current set up is the wires run from the batteries to the distribution switch and then to the motor. From the motor another wire sends power up to the console.

I think if I move the batteries to the center console and run battery cables to a simple distribution box that will also be re-located to under the console. From there I run batteries back to the bilge and hook them into a simple distribution post. The wires from the motor will then also tie into the distribution post located in the bilge. Everything else remains the same.

Is this logical?

The reason I am using the distribution post in the bilge is I cannot find power cables long enough with the specific connectors for the yamaha engine to run from the motor all the way up to the center console where the distibution switch will be located.

Will a distibution post casue me troubles in the long run?

Anybody know where I might be able to find yamaha power cables that can make the reach from the motor up to the center console? I'll need about 15 feet to reach.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
You'd have to make your own cables then lug the ends on. You'll also have to take into consideration the amount of amperage that may be lost over the new distance and the amount of potential heat build up on the new distribution posts.

Secondly, I'm curious why you would put the batteries in a place that is made for convenience which may have a potential safety concern with regard to explosive gases etc. from the batteries, not to mention should they get exceptionally hot, or cold and freeze.

Ultimately your call, but something I'm sure you thought about? I'm by no means an expert, but they put the batteries in certain locations for certain reasons.

·
Registered
563 Posts
The problem will be voltage drop. The reason the batteries are close to the engine is so that the cables can be short and therefore carry the amperage necessary to start the motor without too much voltage drop. If you add 15' to the cable run using the same size battery cable, the motor is likely not to start, even with a fully charged battery and definitely won't start if the battery is somewhat discharged. You can either find a spot that is close to the motor or plan on spending a lot of $$$ on really large gauge tinned copper marine cable--doesn't have to be Yamaha cable BTW. I agree with you that the bilge is a bad spot for the batteries--can you find a spot for a battery boxes close to the motor?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I understand about the voltage drop. My main reasoning for the move is that the batteries are in the bilge. It would not take much water to submerge the batteries if something went wrong. Secondly, if I move the batteries, I would gain space in the bilge for a 2d bilge pump and I will gain the advantages of weight more in the center of the boat. 3rd, no matter how tight I ensure everything is, the raw water and live well pumps drip and land right on the batteries causing corrosion problems.

Gary, what size cables do you think is nessecary to alleviate the voltage drop? What size battery is reccomended?

I am not too worried about the gas venting danger. The space in the console is more open than the bilge. I am comfortable that it will be safe.

Is there any way to determine the voltage drop prior to conducting the work?

I seen other boats with the batteries in the center console. What is the trick?

If I am going to move them, this is the only available space.

Thanks

BC

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Voltage drop can be calculated here

American Wire Gauge table and AWG Electrical Current Load Limits

battery cable (tinned for marine use) can be purchased in bulk spools or by the foot from your local marine dealer along with terminals & crimpers & heat shrink tube. however good crimpers are $$$$,I have a cheep set ($15)that is made in China and they will crimp up to 4/0, not real good quality tool but they get the job done

most marine service centers can make cables in custom lengths & of the approiate gauge, or they can refer you to someone that will custom make them for you..not a big deal ,all you will need is $$

·
Registered
563 Posts
I assume the link that RJ gave you will work for the voltage drop. I don't know what the currrent load is for the starters on the Yamaha's, but the size you end up with might be pretty scary big. My guess is you want no more than 10% drop at max amps. You can make up battery cables by soldering the lugs on--it's not hard, just make sure you clean everything carefully and use rosin core solder. Heat shrink insulation will make a nice finish to the connection. Another tack might be to keep the batteries where they are and use gel type batteries. It might be cheaper than moving them. What I don't know is if the charging system on the Yamaha is compatible with gel batteries. Maybe someone else will know.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I am currently doing some work on my boat's electrical system. I have done a great deal of research. AYBC (the outfit that sets up the standards for boat buiding) says not to solder battery connections. The reasons are that solder is not very conductive and gets brittle over time. AYBC requires a crimp in battery connections. I would not use a gel battery but the newer type of AGM batteries. Many folks on another boating site strongly recommend Cabelas AGM batteries. The Group 27 cost around $139. With AGMs you do not have to worry about charging them as much as gels. Most other battery mfg. make AGM batteries. AGM batteries last several times longer then flooded and are not as sensitive as gels. I believe that your Yamaha has a battery system built in that has a battery combiner. So you can wire your batteries so you have a designated starting and designated house battery that would both charge when the engine is running. You can buy battery lugs, wire, etc from Delcity.net. They have great prices and service. Another source for marine battery wire is bestboatwire.com. I purchased 25' of black and 25' of red 2 gauge marine battery wire on ebay for $62 shipped. I bought a lug crimper from delcity.net for $17. Battery Warehouse and some West Marine Stores can crimp lugs (as well as most auto repair shops and parts stores).

·
Registered
6,818 Posts
Anybody know where I might be able to find yamaha power cables that can make the reach from the motor up to the center console? I'll need about 15 feet to reach.
Call Andy Munao at Shipyard Island Marine, 1-800-213-3323
Andy should be able to hook you up with any Yamaha part you might need.

http://www.shipyardisland.com/

1 - 10 of 10 Posts