Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out in my Kayak this afternoon from SPSP. Caught two 5 pounders LTJ and a 12 Lb fish while fishing eels for the first time ever. Wind was up and down today but got pretty calm right at sunset.

Pretty good day.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Western side, Blue Tarpon 120...that was me. I was out practicing some of your jigging guidance Shawn.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Great yaking report!!! I hate rigging eels in the kayak... slippery buggers love to escape and go down a scupper hole... and at $2 a shot that hurts!

I'm thinking of heading out to the key bridge or bay bridge tomorrow afternoon in my kayak, depending on weather and intuition about the feesh.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Sounds like a nice day. How far out along the bridge did you go? Was the current strong? I haven't fished it yet, but I think about it every time I drive over.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Went out to where the pilings start being the double pilings vs. the 4's or 8's. It was breezy, esp. during the posted high tide time. I was having to hide out behind some of the larger pilings until the wind died down a bit. Closer to sunset it was pretty calm. Drifts were pretty quick.

I was using a technique I read about from the CBBT, drop the eel and then paddle slowly to stay in place...manual trolling motor.

I have a little cooler I use for bait...with a bit of ice in a bag at the bottom the eels were pretty calm and I hooked them while still in the cooler...so they couldn't escape...I had visions of them heading out through the scuppers too.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Great report - thanks for posting. This has me thinking about ditching the pickeral/perch this Sunday and heading to SPSP. I used eels at Kiptopeke last year - they aren't too bad.

·
Registered
183 Posts
bay bridge kayak fishing

Great report. I fish (LTJ) the bridge a lot out of my kayak (orange OK Prowler or red Wilderness Ride) frequently with a couple friends. Its been a good fall out there but the action has dropped off lately. Its good to know that there are still some quality fish to be had. Weather depending, I may go out Sunday. Might be a good opportunity for a yak fishing meet and greet. Anyone interested?

Steve, Greenbelt

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'd be happy to fish with some others. This weekend won't work for me though...heading to Cancun for some diving and fishing on the flats....last minute trip...:clap:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts