Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cloudy skies, calm winds, good current and I didn't think I was gonna get to fish tonight, had to cancel an upper Bay trip with Phill. But mama called and said she'd be home from her road trip later than expected so me and Crockett launched the jon boat and motored up toward the bridge about 5:30 PM. Just knew there would be fish on top when we arrived, but nothing happening so I switched over to a jig. Blues and small rock, got one about 21" I guess. Waited until sunset then made the move back to top-water. I still had that yellow spook tied on I bought from Jim's Marty's yesterday. If somebody don't beat me to 'em I'm gonna go back and buy all he's got. They fish were there this time. Just knew I was gonna get a 20 pounder tonight, but I couldn't get the others in and off fast enough. I bet you know that feeling! All nice fish though. One of my best top-water nights near the bridge this year. Same class as the Patuxent fish last night. They stayed up until dark when the wind came up and it started sprinkling rain. Crockett's favorite weather. He sat right up on the bow with his head in the wind all the way back. That probably ends fishing for me this weekend. Had a trip to Montauk planned but got blowed out. Pretty good bite in the Bay though, have I mentioned how much I love fall fishing!

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Your burnin em up brother. Thanks for the report and pics.

·
Premium Member
2,411 Posts
awesome report Shawn, nice to hear a topwater bite turning on

that wireing job to the trolling motor is custom boy!

TIGHT LINES!!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Way to go Shawn,nice fish and nice looking dog too.
Can you describe how you fish the lure in the picture--I'm trying to get the hang of top water.Thanks
Jimmy

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Way to get em Shawn. I saw that wind lay down late this afternoon and wished I was closer to the bay than Carroll County.....................Mark

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Way to get em Shawn. I saw that wind lay down late this afternoon and wished I was closer to the bay than Carroll County.....................Mark
I feel your pain Mark- I'm in Northern Baltimore county. Great report Shawn. I got off work around noon today and could have fished- thought it would be too rough our there for the Tracker. Great report:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Thanks for the report Shawn... nice to see youre keeping busy over there!

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
I feel your pain Mark- I'm in Northern Baltimore county. Great report Shawn. I got off work around noon today and could have fished- thought it would be too rough our there for the Tracker. Great report
10-16-2008 09:34 PM
Well I live about 20 miles from Ches. Beach and my boat lot is on the way there. I guess I really don't have any excuse for not being out there.
:fishing2:

-JB

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
Shawn,

Nice work! You have Crockett trained well! The question is do you tie mono or braid to his collar when you send him over for the Stripers? :D Our old Chessie used to stick her head under water and come up barking when the seaweed would hit her belly while swimming so you probably could train him to dive for a few!:yes:

Mark

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Way to go Shawn,nice fish and nice looking dog too.
Can you describe how you fish the lure in the picture--I'm trying to get the hang of top water.Thanks
Jimmy
Jimmy -- Working a spook type lure (used to call 'em stick-baits) is called "walking the dog." It's essentially a zig-zag action you get by lowering your rod tip then pointing it toward the lure and loosening your wrist. You don't jerk the bait, but just reel while keeping a little slack in the line and providing short steady twitches so that you kind of slap the water each time with the line-slack. The cadence varies depending on the size of the lure. When it's done right, the plug in combination with its wake will look like a snake or an eel on top of the water.

A couple of tricks to help you get the hang of it is to use a very stiff leader, mono works better than floro, and bend the eyelet of your lure down toward the water. A loop knot will help too. My favorite is a "rapala knot" which is nothing more than a modified clinch knot tied to a overhand loop in the leader above the plug. I don't use loop knots when bluefish are around because it gives them more of a target.

The best walking lures are ones that are weighted in the back so the nose floats high. It probably sounds a little complicated, but you can learn it in 10 or 15 minutes. Easy as pie. With any topwater bait I highly recommend a reel spooled with mono instead of braid. It really adds action to floating lures and it slows down your reaction time. It's very hard not to send a lure sailing over the boat when you see a big fish blow up on it. But they usually miss the first time, or they just tail slap the lure trying to stun it. You gotta keep it working and wait until they hit again and again and come tight before you start fighting them. Mono also acts as a shock absorber when the fish gets hooked . It allows him to dive and not stay on top of the water where he's thrashing around and more likely to throw the lure.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hey Bud.. As always nice job.. LOVE when Mama calls and says shes gonna be late.. Thanks for the phone call, I was mowing the lawn, amongst other things. We'll hook up next week...

·
Registered
531 Posts
Jimmy -- Working a spook type lure (used to call 'em stick-baits) is called "walking the dog." It's essentially a zig-zag action you get by lowering your rod tip then pointing it toward the lure and loosening your wrist. You don't jerk the bait, but just reel while keeping a little slack in the line and providing short steady twitches so that you kind of slap the water each time with the line-slack. The cadence varies depending on the size of the lure. When it's done right, the plug in combination with its wake will look like a snake or an eel on top of the water.

A couple of tricks to help you get the hang of it is to use a very stiff leader, mono works better than floro, and bend the eyelet of your lure down toward the water. A loop knot will help too. My favorite is a "rapala knot" which is nothing more than a modified clinch knot tied to a overhand loop in the leader above the plug. I don't use loop knots when bluefish are around because it gives them more of a target.

The best walking lures are ones that are weighted in the back so the nose floats high. It probably sounds a little complicated, but you can learn it in 10 or 15 minutes. Easy as pie. With any topwater bait I highly recommend a reel spooled with mono instead of braid. It really adds action to floating lures and it slows down your reaction time. It's very hard not to send a lure sailing over the boat when you see a big fish blow up on it. But they usually miss the first time, or they just tail slap the lure trying to stun it. You gotta keep it working and wait until they hit again and again and come tight before you start fighting them. Mono also acts as a shock absorber when the fish gets hooked . It allows him to dive and not stay on top of the water where he's thrashing around and more likely to throw the lure.
Very good post above. very descriptive, thanks for sharing your info and experience

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Shawn You did much better than we did tonight. We got 3 keeper rock up to 22", several snapper blues and a few undersize rock in our trip.

We did find birds at one point but they have been the same story as early this year, when you get close, the fish sound, the birds break up and the marks I find around the area small.

Glad to see you did get out and those are some nice fish :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
7,830 Posts
Thanks for the report and pic's and your right there is nothing like top water fishing in the fall. :thumbup: I really like the pic of Rockett, are sure he did not catch that fish, he sure looks like he did. :D

·
Registered
547 Posts
Awesome Shawn. :clapping2: Thanks for sharing. Super Spooks are my favorite top water lure. My younger bother turned me on to them about 10 years ago while fishing the flats during the spring. I caught a ton of fish on them that year and they are still the first lure I’ll pull out of the box when the fish are on top. I have them from 2” from smallies to 12” for stripers around Block Island and CBBT. I live very close to the flats and have the boat (22’ center console) in the water on the NE river. If you ever what to fish that area shoot me a message I’d he glad to take you out. Crockett is welcome as well. I have a 10 year old yellow lab.:rockon:

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Hey Shawn i saw your post and man i wanted to go but work was calling. Nice work out there, i remember fishing a few times in that little boat that we shouldn't have been out there!!!

Did you ever get that choke fixed or do you still have to hold the choke for the engine to run, ahaha???

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support Tidal Fish
4,199 Posts
Way to get um Shawn...Thanks for the report and pictures.Crockett is looking like he may want to go for a swim.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts