Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Tidal Fish SUPER Commercial Subscriber
10,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bay Pollution - it's ALL of our faults. I have volunteered for, donated a lot of time, money, and resources to these as you have come to call them - "clubs" over the years, sat on their Boards, and been to their meetings. Over all of these years one thing has remained constant. Pollution has been, and always will be the number 1 enemy.

We argue, we meet, we discuss, we rant, and yet, the problems of increased pollution and the degrading of the Bay worsens. Many of our volunteer efforts in cleaning The Bay had commercial watermen, recreational fishermen, CCAers right next to MWAers who were right next to Republicans who were right next to Democrats, etc. raking up muck, planting trees, removing debris, etc. - FOR NO PAY - and ya know what? Nobody was arguing over turtles, or who said what over an insipid message board. There were no "sides" or "they get more fish than we do" or whining about quotas. There was cooperation. There was a sense of "we're in this together" and a pick up your bootstraps and get it done attitude.

So as I sit here reading this Winter doldrums **** I realize what we need is a PROJECT. So, let's pick a project "and get er done". It can be a stream, it can be a buffer, it can be a river, it can be anything. Let's brainstorm and accomplish something positive. Once we agree on a project I'll contact the "clubs" for resources.

I temporarily designate myself as sole arbiter of which project it will be and will gladly step aside for a concerned committee or another more enlightened despot. But I insist that we pick a project to be completed no later than this SPRING. It can be in MD or VA but it must accomplish some cleaning up of messes. Hopefully it will serve in reality and allegorically.

Bash away if you will. I can take it. But every one of you who poo poos and bashes better be standing beside me in the muck when we get 'er done... Remember, I know who you are...

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber
2,741 Posts
Pollution is the no.1 problem today. my biggest fear is that one day the wrong chemical (or combination of chemicals) will enter the bay after a big storm. and everything in the bay will die.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Capt Jim
I think you do have the one thing all groups can agree on. Reduce the pollution going into the bay and it helps improve the water quality which in turn reduces fish mortality etc.

So okay I’ll make two recommendations.

1. Patuxent River. Start at the Route 4 bridge in Upper Marlboro and clean it all the way to the Route 4 bridge in Solomon’s. Depending on the amount of people you get go further up river or maybe not quite so far down.

2. St. Mary’s River. Again depends on the number of volunteers you get.

Have volunteers remove trash and possible plant water plants to filters run off. I’m no expert on what needs to be done, but those are two places you can start.

·
Registered
397 Posts
SIGN ME UP !!!! Say when and where and I'll be there. I'll even try to get my wife and daughter involved. :eek: This is the BEST thing I've read here in a while. Not as entertaining:p , but BEST !!!!!!!

·
Registered
388 Posts
Bay Pollution - it's ALL of our faults. I have volunteered for, donated a lot of time, money, and resources to these as you have come to call them - "clubs" over the years, sat on their Boards, and been to their meetings. Over all of these years one thing has remained constant. Pollution has been, and always will be the number 1 enemy.

We argue, we meet, we discuss, we rant, and yet, the problems of increased pollution and the degrading of the Bay worsens. Many of our volunteer efforts in cleaning The Bay had commercial watermen, recreational fishermen, CCAers right next to MWAers who were right next to Republicans who were right next to Democrats, etc. raking up muck, planting trees, removing debris, etc. - FOR NO PAY - and ya know what? Nobody was arguing over turtles, or who said what over an insipid message board. There were no "sides" or "they get more fish than we do" or whining about quotas. There was cooperation. There was a sense of "we're in this together" and a pick up your bootstraps and get it done attitude.

So as I sit here reading this Winter doldrums **** I realize what we need is a PROJECT. So, let's pick a project "and get er done". It can be a stream, it can be a buffer, it can be a river, it can be anything. Let's brainstorm and accomplish something positive. Once we agree on a project I'll contact the "clubs" for resources.

I temporarily designate myself as sole arbiter of which project it will be and will gladly step aside for a concerned committee or another more enlightened despot. But I insist that we pick a project to be completed no later than this SPRING. It can be in MD or VA but it must accomplish some cleaning up of messes. Hopefully it will serve in reality and allegorically.

Bash away if you will. I can take it. But every one of you who poo poos and bashes better be standing beside me in the muck when we get 'er done... Remember, I know who you are...
So do fishing projects count?
What about monitering the amount of effort on a fishery?
What about someone to head up stream and see if something is flowing into the creeks and back waters?
What about getting everyone to show up in downtown Annapolis and say enought is enought?
What about making sure that oysters aren't poached?
Should we also moniter shorlines and stop any dredging that could threaten bay grasses?
Have you walked the banks of more then one stream looking for signs of trouble?
Should we moniter Pound nets that go unchecked for days?
What if we demand that the millions spent every year in oysters actually be used to restore the native oyster?
What if we demand that fish in need of protection be allowed to spawn?
Do we plant a tree, hold hands and sing around the camp fire?
Jim I love you like a brother but come back up and sit down and listain to Jim Uptuffs(sp) work

·
10,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hammers Question: So do fishing projects count?
A: Absolutely, which one would you like to do? Or, if you prefer, which ones?

Q: What about monitering the amount of effort on a fishery?
A: For sure, which one would you like to do?

Q: What about someone to head up stream and see if something is flowing into the creeks and back waters?
A: Sounds good to me, make a suggestion

Q: What about getting everyone to show up in downtown Annapolis and say enought is enought?
A: Doesn;'t qualify as a "clean up" project

Q: What about making sure that oysters aren't poached?
A: Sounds good, where do we start?

Q: Should we also moniter shorlines and stop any dredging that could threaten bay grasses?
A: Absolutely, name your project

Q: Have you walked the banks of more then one stream looking for signs of trouble?
A: Yes I have. we can do more. Which one do you suggest?

Q: Should we moniter Pound nets that go unchecked for days?
A: No, we'll leave that one to the MDDNRP

Q: What if we demand that the millions spent every year in oysters actually be used to restore the native oyster?
A: Sounds good to me

Q: What if we demand that fish in need of protection be allowed to spawn?
A: Not a clean up project

Q: Do we plant a tree, hold hands and sing around the camp fire?
A: That would accomplish more than sitting around whining

Q: Jim I love you like a brother but come back up and sit down and listain to Jim Uptuffs(sp) work
A: I've been to more meetings than I have hairs on my head and like the Rogaine and other fertilizers, they accomplish NOTHING. We don't need talk, we need do.

I love you like a brother too Hammer, but how about suggesting a clean up project that we can all join together in accomplishing instesad of stirring the pot?

·
10,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for your usual non productive input Monsieur Nostredamus Le Chumbouquet. I'll just go staright to The Love Dwarf for the better part of your family's volunteer corps. She really did look sexy in those hip waders buried in the muck last time - ooohhhh la la!!!

·
Registered
14,163 Posts
Thank you for your usual non productive input Monsieur Nostredamus Le Chumbouquet. I'll just go staright to The Love Dwarf for the better part of your family's volunteer corps. She really did look sexy in those hip waders buried in the muck last time - ooohhhh la la!!!
That's right Jimmy, just watch the pretty girl, pay no attention to the screaming coming from Annapolis...Everybody will have plenty to do together, it will be swell...

·
10,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's funny, Jil suggested we ditch you shortly after you appeared in one of her nightmares dressed in a hospital gown. Just agree to join us in our clean up project and I will taunt you no more...

Oh yeah - and cleaning up the biohazard which is "The Lair" does not qualify.

·
Registered
14,163 Posts
That's funny, Jil suggested we ditch you shortly after you appeared in one of her nightmares dressed in a hospital gown. Just agree to join us in our clean up project and I will taunt you no more...

Oh yeah - and cleaning up the biohazard which is "The Lair" does not qualify.
Oh sure, be glad to...I can't wait! Working with all the MWA volunteers? What are we going to do? Drive the snow plows in Hell?

·
10,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Worked last time. Worked the time before that. And, that's right, it worked the time before that. Just tune up your chorus of Kumbiyah, ol' pal... How 'bout some suggestions? Patuxent's real close down there. And that St. Mary's River suggestion seemed pretty close to ya???

I'll give Al a call, he's still welcome there at "The Lair" for a few nights?

·
Registered
14,163 Posts
Worked last time. Worked the time before that. And, that's right, it worked the time before that. Just tune up your chorus of Kumbiyah, ol' pal... How 'bout some suggestions? Patuxent's real close down there. And that St. Mary's River suggestion seemed pretty close to ya???

I'll give Al a call, he's still welcome there at "The Lair" for a few nights?
Sure, you get Danny Beck, Kenny Keen, Larry Simns, and the ever efferevescent Reds together to do anything positive for the Bay and I'll sell cupcakes in the county square for starving waterman while walking on my hands and belching the Star Spangled Banner with a lit road flare sticking out of my ass...How's that?

·
10,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Now here we are back to the old [ insert object du jour ] sticking out of your ass again. Does it always have to go back to that?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Lets start at the top and clean up an area that half of us will be fishing soon. I proposes on a Saturday morning of C&R before the rods come out we do some cleaning up of the shorelines around the Susky flats (the fishing doesn't get good until the afternoon anyway) If everyone took about an hour before fishing to clean up a stretch of shoreline of trash (that would eventually work it's way down the bay) it would make a world of difference. A majority of that shoreline is public land. It would be as easy as pulling your boat up into the shallows putting on the waders, grab a couple of trash bags and walk the shoreline (If your lucky you might even find a lure or two). I'd be willing to provide a drop off point conveniently located to the flats where you could pull up your boat and hand off the trash before heading out to fish. I'll also provide a 3 ton dump trailer to load the trash into and transfer it to the Cecil Co. landfill. And maybe even hot coffee. Let me know.

·
Administrator
18,673 Posts
I will put up money from our Lateral Line Foundation to help make this happen Capt. Jim. Let's pick it, do it and make a change.

·
Registered
58 Posts
this is a great idea for this time of year. some sort of trash clean up might be a good way to get the boys out working this time of year. if said project happens in so md i would be able to provide small dump truck for hauling. walked down the pax this eve and any trash/planting projects may have to wait for the ice to melt

Jude

1 - 20 of 49 Posts