Tidal Fish Forum banner
41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
same thing is happening in this country on ground invasives every were .it’s a different world
yep Take Loch Raven Reservoir as an example. They originally planted Pine Trees there to stop erosion and mud from going into the reservoir .Pine Trees are better because they are evergreen and stop heavy rain and snow from pounding the ground . Since then, Pine Trees are thinning out and deciduous trees are naturalizing instead . What used to grow and thrive here no longer does. Different species fill the niche.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I read that Bass are more cannabalistic by eating their own than snakeheads, That's refreshing to me. Snakeheads protect their young like most intelligent creatures do , while Bass and many other fish abandon their young to fight for them selves when they are fry. Too bad Stripers , Bass and other fish are not that smart .
my fish is smarter than your fish! Sorry Couldn't help myself. I hear both sides. Frankly, I think if we left the crabs and oysters alone for a few years, it would go a long way. Nobody wants to hear it. I love em too. Thats why they exsist to clean the water. They eat **** and clean/filter the water. When I was in florida years ago, on red tide days you couldn't catch anything but catfish. if the wind kicked around you would catch redfish and specks. Catfish and stingrays/skates tolerate crappy water . Drum, Specks, rockfish, etc. don't.

·
Registered
42 Posts
my fish is smarter than your fish! Sorry Couldn't help myself. I hear both sides. Frankly, I think if we left the crabs and oysters alone for a few years, it would go a long way. Nobody wants to hear it. I love em too. Thats why they exsist to clean the water. They eat **** and clean/filter the water. When I was in florida years ago, on red tide days you couldn't catch anything but catfish. if the wind kicked around you would catch redfish and specks. Catfish and stingrays/skates tolerate crappy water . Drum, Specks, rockfish, etc. don't.
ask Skip how clear the water gets in a good mussel year. they are very efficient!

·
Registered
14,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
ask Skip how clear the water gets in a good mussel year. they are very efficient!
Oysters, mussels and menhaden are all filter feeders. Back 150 years ago, the oysters filtered the entire bay every few days. It's really a simple process, they work every day, never call out sick and don't get paid but it seems they all have more value harvested. THEY DONT!.......... Gary

·
Registered
42 Posts
Oysters, mussels and menhaden are all filter feeders. Back 150 years ago, the oysters filtered the entire bay every few days. It's really a simple process, they work every day, never call out sick and don't get paid but it seems they all have more value harvested. THEY DONT!.......... Gary
I couldn't agree more. Well said.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Has anyone noticed that in farm ponds where the water quality is good, and both bass and channel cats live, that they both seem to have a symbiotic relationship.both eating bluegills and crayfish, bugs and worms. Bass actually seem to do better number wise but the cats get bigger. I think bass (in good conditions) are much more formidable predators than catfish, but when things go south with water quality the catfish becomes king. just a personal observation.

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
Sorry It's not my fish is smarter ,it's our fish. I'll rephrase that. Snakeheads have an added instinct to protect their own offspring that is superior to our native fish.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts