Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is getting to be the time when the action is gonna get started at cape henry. If you are running in the dark, there are huge steel mooring balls for tieing the tug and barge up at 70th street that are not lit. These things are the size of volkswagens and barely stick out of the water more than six inches unlit just waiting for someone to pile into them. There is one ball in the middle that has a yellow light on it, but there are several others spread out all through that area that are not lit. These things are a good ways, maybe a quarter mile offshore of the actual tug and barge itself. I almost hit one the other night when coming home to rudee from the high rise and it was a miracle that I saw the thing cruising in the pitch black:eek2:, so steer well clear of them. Dont want anyone to get hurt.

·
Registered
232 Posts
is it the same company you had the run in with ? if they were report as a hazard to the USCG would they be req'd to mark them -

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
is it the same company you had the run in with ? if they were report as a hazard to the USCG would they be req'd to mark them -
I dont know if it is or not, and they probably should be lit, but I am not out to get anybody, and just thought I would throw the warning out there before somebody seriously hurts themselves.
The end of the south jetty at rudee needs a green light too while we are at it.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Thanks for the info, Jake. I had a run in with one on the bayside of the second island last Sunday night. Just some very minor cosmetic damage, but nonetheless...could have been alot worse.

Ed

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
thanks for the info capt.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Good to know, theres also the 4 mooring bouys on the Red side of Thimble Shoals Channel inside from the 2nd Island, not to mention the new mooring buoy in the dern near center of the of Baltimore Channel inbetween the 3rd & 4th. Some are lit, some are not, some show up on radar, some dont (depending on conditions)

Good Luck, stay safe!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thanks for that info! hazards like that can hurt.

I try to avoid them but wonder if anyone has hit or been "caught" by the type of fishing nets that are around the fourth island?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Appreciate the info. Won't be dark but I think my buddy and I will troll around there for a while tomorrow and see what's going on. I'll keep an eye out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts