Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,137 Posts
I can believe that.I find some old frames when I'm diving sometimes.Only good thing is the wire breaks down and only the frame is left after 5-6 months.Still a big problem. Skip

·
Registered
858 Posts
I take issue with the quote "it's not the waterman's fault". Granted, the traps were fouled in rec props...but most of those were fouled because the pots were place incorrectly or inappropriately. If I had a kid who left his toys in the middle of the street, I certainly would not be pointing fingers at the drivers who ran them over.

Don

·
Registered
6,818 Posts

Other states have special, off-season removal programs that encourage fishermen to look for and retrieve lost gear.
I'd like to see Maryland institute such a program.

I would bet that if the area between Greenbury Point and Hacketts were surveyed, the results would be scary.

·
Premium Member
26,137 Posts
If I see them :confused: -hell man I can't see my guages.Most are nothing but frames.If I ever do find a good one I'll just give it to the first crab boat I see.More down there then we think.I know some guys will drag grapples in a high lost area but don't know if they get any back.These new 3-D fish finders might work to locate them.The worst ones still have the float attached but are 10-15' underwater.You see a nice mark on the meter then 20 seconds later -snag it.:mad: Great way to test your knots.We pulled one up with 60 lb. Ande and it had 5 other lures/leaders on it.Some of the lures were almost new.The trap was full of sand/mud so I dragged it into shallow water and left it with the float showing. Skip

·
Registered
148 Posts
Anyone who has ever fished pots knows that after the first crab dies in a pot , very few if any ill come anywhere near it. Not until the dead crab is rotted away, so that there is no scent, will that pot catch anymore crabs. If you don't believe try it for yourself. Or simply bait your pot with a rotten fish...you won't catch anything. Ghost" pots are a joke. Simply a idea for a study and the expenditure of our taxpayer money. I went over this 10 years ago with one of my professors in a Marine Biology class, and its still the same thing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts