Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like some truely cold weather coming our way next week.Predicted temps are as low as 17* and this can cause serious damage to a boat that is not winterized properly.Temps this low can freeze and break pumps/lower units/water tanks/toilets (head) / bait wells/engine blocks/etc.

Might be wise to double check your boat Saturday or Sunday.Cold is predicted to be here Sunday night.

Only takes one night below 25 degrees to do $$$$$$ damage.Don't forget to check that the bilge is dry - water freezing in there can crack a bilge pump or float switch housing.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Skip:

I assume you are primarily referring to Inboards.

My winterization program for my F225 is to trim the engine all the way down to make sure the water is drained and leave it that way while on the trailer.

I also spray all the water out of the washdown pump (If I remember).

If you fish all winter like I do, I don't know another way.

Seems to have worked over the past 25 years.

GT

·
Registered
860 Posts
What do you guys do with your electronics. This is my first year with a boat that has a flush mounted Lowrance unit and a fixed VHF? I'm in PA so it get pretty cold in Jan and Feb.

·
Premium Member
26,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
GT - any water left inside can freeze on any type boat.Trimming the outboard down will get out the water but it never hurts to move the trim up/down a few times to ensure it is all out.

Temps. just below freezing do not seem to cause the trouble that below 20 degrees does.I've seen alot of damage done to boats from the cold - often something simply overlooked.

I fish all winter as well but protect my pumps with anti freeze.Running them "dry" often still leaves water in them.Ice expands and will burst plastic like nothing.I've seen 3 inch steel pipes burst from freezing before.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I was going to winterize my one good engine this weekend, but since I'll need to run it on the hose maybe I'll wait til after this cold snap is over. I know that all the water is out of it now as I haven't run it in a few weeks and it's been trimmed all the way down.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Skip:

Maybe I have been lucky, but it used to get a lot colder 25 years ago and I never had a problem. I hope the luck continues.

Thanks for the heads up. I don't want anyone tho think I am an expert, just giving my $0.02.

GT

·
Premium Member
26,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Shaggy - ideally electronics should be removed from the boat and stored in the house.Most of leave them in the boat though.

If you must leave them in the boat - they will be OK.If you can get to the back of them - it never hurts to remove the connections and spray a cleaner on them.Most marine stores sell an electronic cleaner/protector in a spray can.

GT - sounds like you are doing it right :thumbup: - 25 years ain't all luck :D.Guess Parker's are much simplier boats - us Grady owners have the hot tub to drain, wine cellar to winterize and the fresh water shower system to protect :pp.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I've got a little Yamaha 8hp four stroke that I use on a floating goose blind.
During the hunting season the blind boat stays in the water.

I hate to leave the motor in the down position in the water but I wonder if it will freeze and do damage if I leave the motor up...........

What do I do?

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Skip,
Do you treat the fresh water system once and just not use it for the winter? Or do ya change it out when it gets above freezing so you can use it again during the winter? I have the big washdown system on the trailer also, I was going to treat it and just leave it until March but I am spoiled now and I hate not being able to use it! I have never done anything to the outboards, just trip up/down and try to get as much water out as possible. I am hoping to get outa OC next week if we can..

·
Registered
778 Posts
Tuna- I do the same as you,except I suck antifreeze through all my pumps then close the ball valves,when I fish now I just dont use my wash down hose.
Skip- Drain the hot tub? This is when we Pursuit owners use it the most!!!

·
Registered
118 Posts
How do you best get the antifreeze in the washdown and livewell pumps. I was going to use a section of hose and funnel and pour the antifreeze in the above deck outlets for both. Do I need to do more?

·
Registered
7,541 Posts
Done.....I put the motor and battery in my car's trunk.:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
26,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Joe 117 - I would leave the motor in the DOWN postion.Leaving it up will trap water inside that could freeze.I've even seen water trapped in the hub of I/O's stored UP freeze and do damage.

Reel Draggin - I run my freshwater system until it is dry - taking time to open each one.Do not forget the windshield washer.I then add two gallons of the pink anti freeze and turn on the pump.Once it has pressurized thge system - I go back and open each sink/hose until pink flows out.Come spring time- i add 2-3 gallons of freshwater and run the system dry.It takes 2-3 flushings with a few gallons to get rid of the pink but sure beats fixing broken hoses/pumps.

Rock My World - it's best to remove the hoses from both sides of your pumps.If the livewell is rigged right- there will be a check valve between the pump and the well.No way for anti freeze to get past this.I remove the hoses - then connect a short 4 foot hose to the suction side.I put the hose in the anti freeze and run the pump for a few seconds.The pump is now filled and protected for winter.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Just another option, I use a plunger with a hose fitting and suck antifreeze into the pick up inlets under the boat.I have 2-1 for the head,1-forthe livewell and wash down,once I have pink comming out of all three I'm done. It just saves me from disconnecting a bunch of hoses. Keith

·
Premium Member
26,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Keith - any chance you could post a photo of that ?
Heard of something similar but never found a store that had one in stock.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Skip- i'm working on a pic. I dont even remember where I got it. I'll post soon. I'm having a problem with my computer reading the kodac memory card i just got. Keith
47b8cc38b3127ccec5b2421c041200000040O00AbtWbFszYtGIPbz4I/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D720/ry%3D480

·
Registered
72 Posts
Lower unit oil changed
Washdown - anti-freezed/flushed
Batteries removed (two house - one starter) Charge checked once a month
Electronics removed
Bilge plug removed
Pink anti-freeze poured from anchor locker down into bilge - most flows out
Fuel Stabilized
Motor down - rag stuffed in prop exhaust port
Boat tilted higher for drainage