Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The weather this morning looked too good to pass up, particularly with the predicted blow for the next few days. We had a great day trolling CH on Christmas, and a lousy day doing the same in the fog on Saturday, so we decided to head out for some eeling off Smith Island.

Left LCrk on "C-Time" with our friend Chuck Kahlert (Flounderman2001) about 1115. Easy run in almost flat seas to the area SE of the Smith Island. Made a couple of nice drifts, but only dogfish for our efforts.

Ran around to a spot inside Latimer Shoal, and had a good drift on the ebb current. Had a couple of short pulls and onle long pull that didn't come tight, and then one clicker just went off. The fish took an eel about 12-feet down under a bobber, in 22-feet of water. Chuck did a great job with the rod, and I got the net under it.

Measured just over 44-inches but was very fat. We will weigh for citation tomorrow morning, but the scale onboard indicated 44 pounds. Here is Chuck with his catch:

Nothing more on two additional drifts, so anchored at the HR to try our luck. Really wanted Cathy to have a shot at a big rock. A beautiful evening, but no joy for us there and we left as the ebb died.

A fantastic day on the water, and one big fish to chase the skunk off the boat.

Brian

·
Registered
120 Posts
Brian, good to see you landed that fish. We didn't even get a nibble over there. We did better after we repositioned to the ocean. Too bad you just laid anchor when I called as several boats were netting fish in the area. There is always next time.

Joe - Miller Time

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Brian, good to see you landed that fish. We didn't even get a nibble over there. We did better after we repositioned to the ocean. Too bad you just laid anchor when I called as several boats were netting fish in the area. There is always next time.

Joe - Miller Time
It was good seeing you out there, Joe, and I appreciate the calls. We had anchored a couple of times to get positioned correctly, and had five lines out when you called. On hindsight, we probably should have come to join you..... :D

Brian

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Chuck and I took the fish to Taylor's this morning for weigh-in.

Length was 47", girth was 29", and weight was 45#-6oz.

She went from the scale to the cleaning table, for surgery at the hands of Dr. Flounderman2001.

Maybe we can find some more to start the New Year - but after the blow... :yes:

Brian

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
Brian,

I have witnessed the surgical precision of Dr. Flounderman. It has been honed to a fine edge by years of experience.

Great fish and ......great company to catch it in!!:clap:

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Nice Ending

It was a nice way to end the 2008 year by catching a Bubba.:clap:
The weather day out on the water was just great.

That was a great picture taken by Brian at the High rise with that beautiful sky up above.:yes:

Our time spent at the High Rise did not even get us a bump. The fish were not cooperating in order for Cathy to get in some pullage on a possible Big one.:mad:

My thanks to Brian & Cathy for the opportunity to get a Weight Citation prior to the years end.:thumbup:

BTW,That one side of the Striper filet's will now be on the dinner table of 4 of my elderly neighbors.

·
Premium Member
1,804 Posts
Pretty fish Chuck...congrats.:thumbup:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts