Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got out for awhile today with the boy's. Was a blistery cold but beautiful day. The perch were hitting decent but nothing bigger than 10". Took a pic just for proof that we were out! Here is Brandon with one of his ring perch. We had the whole river to ourselves! Dayton thought you were coming down?

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Hey Wayne we use perch for flathead bait down here. They are good and lively and flatheads hit them real well. Didn't know they were prized as a table fish. Do you fish for them for fun or do you eat them?

moe

·
Registered
261 Posts
Where (What body of water) were you on catching these yellow perch?

I see you're from King William, was that the Mattaponi?

I'm thinking about hitting that this coming weekend if the weather cooperates. What were you using for bait?

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
hey moe : try www.crappie.com they worship perch over there !

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes thats the mattaponi. They arent running strong yet but they are there. We were using minnows and silver buddies to catch them. They are good eating but i usually do not keep any. I will keep some hear and there.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Hey Crash, glad you guys got out. I stayed home and played in the snow. Will try for them sometime.

Saw that I missed a call from you. I turn my ringer off and nap along with the kids. Never turned it back on. Give me a call when you have time.

Also, did you get a b-mail from John? He wants a dozen weights and I told him I would pic them up.

See ya,

Dayton

·
Registered
261 Posts
Crash, did you put in at Aylett? It looks like you're on the stretch of the river between Aylett & Walkerton before the river widens out....

I'm not trying to find your holes or anything, just trying to find out if there's good perch fishing on the section of the river I fish on...I like to put in at Aylett and motor down about 1-2 miles to the first 90 degree turn where there is a high cliff and a tree in the water...during low tide you have to squeeze between the shore and that tree, only about 5 yards wide :)

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I fished in that exact hole you speak of last weekend and got nothing. We fished all around Aylett and got nothing. We actually put in at Walkerton this sunday and went a few turns up. I just found a sheltered area out the wind where we could actually fish. I actually dont have any holes around that stretch of the river we just stopped and fished some deeper holes and kept moving around till we found some. Next couple weeks they should be up to Aylett I would think.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
1,292 Posts
Which pattern? The one where we start fishing for yellow perch way too early and don't catch **** but a few dinks? Then, because you are so pissed and dissappointed, you make plans for another trip and the same thing happens? Yeah! I think I recognize that pattern!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think I read another post where you were bashing the perch Wasabi. Were you beaten with a perch when you were young? [grin]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts