Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, i recently started going with my nefew and freind fishing and i fell in love, i was wondering as a begginer if i should spend on pro equipement? Any idea?

·
Registered
707 Posts
Hello, i recently started going with my nefew and freind fishing and i fell in love, i was wondering as a begginer if i should spend on pro equipement? Any idea?
I'm not trying to sound condescending, but there really isn't "pro" equipment. The pro's use what they like, can afford, or in many cases, what their sponsors provide, and if they change sponsors, they change equipment to reflect the sponsor change. That means, what they use, is all good enough. There's a wide range in prices for fishing gear, which may not necessarily relate to actual quality or use. If you fish for a living or 300 days a year for recreation, then sure, you may want to buy a better grade of equipment, but be sure you're buying what you can afford, and what you need at this point, since it seems you're very new to this. There's plenty of very good gear on the market at reasonable price points. I've been fishing for around 60 years, and I've never owned the "top of the line" type fishing gear, because for one, I couldn't afford the price tag, and because of my work, never fished a lot. I fished a lot for what free time I had, but not a lot in actual days on the water. I've also owned some very inexpensive gear, that got a lot of use and did what I needed it to do. I do own some older tackle now ( like two custom built fly rods) that at the time, was in the upper price ranges, but still wasn't the most expensive of it's type on the market. Again, the price tag doesn't always reflect quality or value.

If you stick with the name brands, most have a good variety of gear at various prices. I probably have 40 or 50 rods & reels now of the different types, baitcasters, spinning, fly tackle, surf fishing gear and some trolling gear, so have gear for any type of fishing I want to do. Had I only spent on higher end gear, there's no way I could have done that, so often it's best to budget for the bigger picture.

There's nothing wrong with getting good equipment, but at this point in your new endeavor, you may not see any real advantage to spend a lot of money on any single type of gear. Consider how much you'll use the tackle, and do some research to find some different setups that should fit the type of fishing you want to do, and of course also fit your budget.

I live next to Santee Cooper in SC, and own a fishing tackle business, making custom flies & lures. I don't sell any rods or reels, but if you like, feel free to contact me and I can give you recommendations based on what I use or have used. I primarily fish for bass, catfish, panfish and Striped Bass now, but have done other types of fishing in the past. I lived in MD for 59 years of my life ( I'm 66 now) and most fishing then was in MD waters. Some of my rods & reels are 20-30 years old now, but I still use them. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not trying to sound condescending, but there really isn't "pro" equipment. The pro's use what they like, can afford, or in many cases, what their sponsors provide, and if they change sponsors, they change equipment to reflect the sponsor change. That means, what they use, is all good enough. There's a wide range in prices for fishing gear, which may not necessarily relate to actual quality or use. If you fish for a living or 300 days a year for recreation, then sure, you may want to buy a better grade of equipment, but be sure you're buying what you can afford, and what you need at this point, since it seems you're very new to this. There's plenty of very good gear on the market at reasonable price points. I've been fishing for around 60 years, and I've never owned the "top of the line" type fishing gear, because for one, I couldn't afford the price tag, and because of my work, never fished a lot. I fished a lot for what free time I had, but not a lot in actual days on the water. I've also owned some very inexpensive gear, that got a lot of use and did what I needed it to do. I do own some older tackle now ( like two custom built fly rods) that at the time, was in the upper price ranges, but still wasn't the most expensive of it's type on the market. Again, the price tag doesn't always reflect quality or value.

If you stick with the name brands, most have a good variety of gear at various prices. I probably have 40 or 50 rods & reels now of the different types, baitcasters, spinning, fly tackle, surf fishing gear and some trolling gear, so have gear for any type of fishing I want to do. Had I only spent on higher end gear, there's no way I could have done that, so often it's best to budget for the bigger picture.

There's nothing wrong with getting good equipment, but at this point in your new endeavor, you may not see any real advantage to spend a lot of money on any single type of gear. Consider how much you'll use the tackle, and do some research to find some different setups that should fit the type of fishing you want to do, and of course also fit your budget.

I live next to Santee Cooper in SC, and own a fishing tackle business, making custom flies & lures. I don't sell any rods or reels, but if you like, feel free to contact me and I can give you recommendations based on what I use or have used. I primarily fish for bass, catfish, panfish and Striped Bass now, but have done other types of fishing in the past. I lived in MD for 59 years of my life ( I'm 66 now) and most fishing then was in MD waters. Some of my rods & reels are 20-30 years old now, but I still use them. :)
Thank you for taking the time to explain

1 - 3 of 3 Posts