Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in being SCUBA certified but there is one thing that is holding me back and that is I am not a very good swimmer. I have heard from other people who have takin the course and they say it is not that important to know how to swim. In anyones honest opinion is it absolutely important to know how to swim to be able to scuba dive!? Thank for your help in advance!

·
Premium Member
26,133 Posts
Yes-you do need to be able to swim.The first night you will be asked to swim 6 laps in the pool.Very easy to learn how to swim.Check the local dive shop or a swim club.YMCA type clubs offer swim lessons as well.Speaking for myself-diving is a BLAST.Only a few things better[grin].If you try scuba visit as many shops as you can and talk to the instructors.You'll find one you "click" with better then others. Good luck

·
Registered
328 Posts
I can think of a hundred reasons why you need to know how to swim, but most important, you need to know how to swim for the reasons you cannot think of or plan for. It could save your life and your dive buddy's life. Also, take a CPR class. Not required, but good to know.

·
Premium Member
26,133 Posts
Racn35-had a bad day?The guy asked a question-that's all.Why shoot him down?I've seen people who were scared of the water become divers and do well.I don't think there are dumb questions just rude answers.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Marcus, the first thing you need to do (as others have said) is to get in a safe emviroment like a shallow pool with a teacher and learn how the right way. Second, buy an inexpensive mask and fins and freedive for some time to see if you like the sport in the first place, if you do, visit a few divin shops in your area and learn how to do it. Learn how to do it right and get lots of dives on your log before going for your next card, I have seen divers with many cards in their wallets and din't know how to clear a mask down under or were not to able to deflate head down to a dive site, in this case cards means very little. Learn your stuff well!

Best of luck to ya

·
Registered
328 Posts
Very good advise from Spearo. He is speaking from experience. It is very important that you develop your skills set and be at ease in the water. Also, go to the YMCA and take a swimming course.

·
Premium Member
26,133 Posts
Racn35-its not worth the time.My name is Skip-Lisa is my wife.I'd rather dive with a non-swimmer then a "know it all".I got tanks to fill.Enough said!

·
Registered
950 Posts
Racin, ligten up, they are just trying to help him with his question. The one thing you did not mention is that if you can drink enough and hold your bladder, you don't have to know how to swim..[grin]

·
Registered
132 Posts
there is a woman in our dive group that probabally has more dives than everyone on this board combined. literally in the thousands. if you threw her in the water without a reg in her mouth she would drown. do you have to know how to swim NO, will it likly be required to get a cert card YES.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Just wanted to make this more clear for those none scuba/spearos here. The first thing you need to have (since the late 60s early 70s can't remember) to become a diver is first age and second is to know how to stay on the water and go around a lg. pool for long time swimming, yes you have to swimm!. Those who do it better go to one group and those who're slower go to another group. If you can't make it in group one or in group two you're ask to get swimmimg classes before you try again, now, years ago you din't need to know one thing about diving, equipment or swimmimg (now my age is showing) all you needed was money to buy the equipment and the water to use it, back then the only divers you ever saw were from the navy and a few of us with foggy round masks and big hoses around your shoulders.[grin]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts