Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Administrator
18,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Gang

I had a call today from an old friend about a request for trolling lures and the set up for this years upcoming season. I got the idea that I would do an article on a Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced Trolling set up. I would classify advanced as using planer boards.

I wanted to see if I could get some help doing this article. If you are a charter captain and would like to contribute, please do. I will give you full credit in the article and will include a link to your site at the end of the article for all that contribute.

Thanks in advance!

Brandon

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Brandon,
I cannot contribute to the set up, but I have a request. Please include a small set up, for us guys that don't have the room or budget for 17-19 rods. Some of us have smaller boats and budgets than others. There is plenty of info here on TF about massive set-ups, but not much for the guy with a 19-21'er and only 4 to 6 rods.

Thank you,
Jim

·
Registered
30 Posts
Bandon,
I agree with Stinkbait, maybe the the Beginner would be 4-6 rods, the Intermediate up to 10 rods, and the Advanced 10+ and planners.
thanks,
Tom

·
Registered
654 Posts
I cant fathom how you guys put out these crazy numbers of lines. Im a rookie as far as Chesapeake fishing goes but I have done plenty of offshore trolling and striper trolling further north. Never has it occurred to me or have I seen 10+ rods used at once, probably never even 8 rods, even on charters I have been on. Why so many?

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
If you want to add a 2-4 rod kayak spread, I'd contribute what's worked for me. You could add...

"so beginner (aka poor) I don't even have a motor" to the front of the list.
Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced can follow.

I second the recommendation that beginner not have too many rods.

·
Administrator
18,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Like the idea with rods as well, Beginner with 4 rods, intermediate with more and advanced with a bit more....

Input?

As for Kayak, let it rip Josh, I will include that as well:D

·
Registered
80 Posts
This is my third season fishing the bay. I have been fishing offshore from OC continously since the mid 80's but only lately discovered the beauty of the bay so I now bring the boat in the bay and spent early spring and late fall chasing after rock.
Thought of using planers but ended up opting out as I am usually short handed. I found a spread of 4 rods and 2 dummy lines to work best for me. I run 2 rods off the transom and 2 off the side holders. All umbrella rigs; staggered vertically every 5 feet. I think is necessary to fish umbrellas if you run a limited number of lines so as to put as many baits out there as possible. I usually put whites on one side and chartuse on the other. In the spring I may also use the outriggers to pull spoons or tandems on 2 more rods. Six to eight lines make for a manageable setup I can fish by my self if need be.
I dont think the number of rods play as much role on your sucess as how you fish them. I find that an east-west heading cutting across the deep water to the shallows and then back out to the deep working the mouth of the rivers produces best than hugging one side of the chanell and going straight up or down.

·
Registered
7,593 Posts
Before the article gets started, just this interesting question.....Based on the number of rods, riggers, hand lines, etc, do the terms, "beginner", "intermediate", and "advanced" accurately describe trolling set-ups?

Ain't that like saying, if you have a small(er) boat, you're a beginning boater, and if you have a big(ger) boat you're considered an advanced boater?

Not trying to stir it up, but I'm sure you see where the inferences are.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
I have a 24' Mako, and I run 8 lines. Would consider myself an intermediate CB Troller. I typically prepare to fish by myself, and I run 6 Rods, and 2 Dummies. I usually start with 4- 21" Umbrellas (2 Chart, and 2 White) dressed with 6" teaser shad, and a 4oz parachute with a 9" shad, 2 tandems (1 chart 1 white) top lure is a 4 oz parachute with a 9" shad, and bottom is a 9oz mojo with a 12"shad- last lures change between spoons, and 7" umbrellas. It really depends on what kind of luck I have been having. I shift them all around in thier positions on the boat. Just remember, be flexible. Nothing is written in stone, and sometimes the fish like white, and sometimes its chart. If white is the only color producing, change the majority of your baits to that color... Dont know if this will help anyone, but it works for me! Tight lines folks!

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Set up

Brandon. I fish a 1903CC Trophy.

Striper set up

Stern rod holders or flat line will be 2 330 Penn wire line poles with 24 to 48 oz. Parachute riggs with 80# 3' leader attached to a 3 way then a 15' leader attached to 3way with Tomic, shad, or 1oz. parachute with 6" shad trailer, or spoon. These will be ran short behind transom

Forward rod holders 2 330 Penn wire line polls with 12 to 16oz. bullet type parachute rigg with 80# 3' leader attached to a 3 way then 12' 80# leader to a tomic, 6" 2oz. shad, spoon, or a 1oz. parachute w/ 6"shad. These will be ran about 75' to 100'.

Rocket launchers will have a Penn 320 ran with wire on a umbrella rigg WWWWWFB. and the outer will be Penn Slammer 6500 the old reels with stretches, 20,25, or 30's.

Note sometimes you don't have to run 7 rods that is for when the bite is slow. But if it is on I run only the 4 330's.

Offshore pick your day.

I run flat lines 2 50 VSW one trolling rod with planner 80lb test other flat a stand up rod.

Forward rod holders 2 50VSW stand up rods.

3 50VSW stand up rods in Rocket launchers.

I could pull more but don't have outriggers Have the rods and reels though.

arious types of spreads. You have to make your spread look big with a dredge ran off the cleet a spreader bar or two and the regular stuff witches rigged, islanders put out alot of smoke and run nakeds of course. Pull meat also. Note small boat is hard to fish offshore but if you pick your day and buddy up and have safety gear in place you can get out there Hatteras or Oregon Inlet.

Hope this helps Brandon

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
easy way to get started, run a search on this forum about depth chart, or lure depth. There is some really helpful info there to get you in the ballpark.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Hmmmmmmm!

how do you know what depth you are with your rigs and how far to trail
Know your equiptment. Find out what distance it is to your fisrt guide past the reel. pull out that amount then times it by how many pulls. I do it by feel and where the fish are in the water column. Hint Hint Practice practice practice KNOW YOUR EQUIPTMENT. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,024 Posts

·
Administrator
18,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Done workin, THANK YOU. Great point, we should keep them there. I was looking for that thread.

Brandon

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I cant fathom how you guys put out these crazy numbers of lines. Im a rookie as far as Chesapeake fishing goes but I have done plenty of offshore trolling and striper trolling further north. Never has it occurred to me or have I seen 10+ rods used at once, probably never even 8 rods, even on charters I have been on. Why so many?
JFP, I think the reason for so many rods is that it is hard for the stripers to see in the Bay compared to the ocean. So the more you have out, the better your odds.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
414 Posts
Before the article gets started, just this interesting question.....Based on the number of rods, riggers, hand lines, etc, do the terms, "beginner", "intermediate", and "advanced" accurately describe trolling set-ups?

Ain't that like saying, if you have a small(er) boat, you're a beginning boater, and if you have a big(ger) boat you're considered an advanced boater?

Not trying to stir it up, but I'm sure you see where the inferences are.
Not me, I have a 25' boat and only plan on running 5 rods this year. I am very much so a beginner...

1 - 20 of 40 Posts