Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hitting Belle Grove and the upper Patapsco this monday in the Kayak. Would love some company. I plan to fish for bass in the morning, and once the morning bite subsides, target carp. I would be willing to switch to an afternoon/evening trip if your work schedule won't accomodate a morning trip.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is my report from Memorial day from another site -

Fished the Belle Grove Ponds area on the Patapsco river. Launched from the Southwest Ara Park boat ramp (off Georgia Ave). It was a scorcher of a Memorial Day, topping 90 degrees. But the fish were active, so no complaints. Water temp was in the lower 70's at the launch.

Largemouth - caught a few small bass on wacky rigged senkos and spinnerbaits. Lost one very nice bass when casting into what I thought was a school of bait but I now believe was a swarm of fry. Poor hookset and she wouldn't touch any followup baits. Also caught one small bass on a popper from the flyrod... but it was really too bright and late in the day for a topwater bite. Saw a few other large bass come up to my senko, look at it, and turn around. In retrospect, with such clear water I should have switched to even more finesse (drop shot is my favorite but I hang it up a lot and hate re-tying it). All bass caught when fishing shady structure near the banks or under bridges.

Catfish - caught an 11 pound catfish on a beetle spin with 3" salt/pepper mr. twister on an ultralight rod... I thought I had the bass of a lifetime. Apparently he didn't read the book. Still a great fish.

Rockfish - saw one 20" rockfish caught near the light rail overpass upstream from Belle Grove. There was a little side creek running in with dirty water (the river itself was crystal clear... 5+ foot visibility). There were lots of HUGE carp near the stained/clear water line. Also at least one rockfish

Pikeral - caught on very small pickeral on the beetle spin.

CARP - I was ill prepared to fish for them, but I am going to target them with a fly the next time I go fishing. I will also bring dough balls or corn if "freshwater bonefish fishing" doesn't work out. There was a flat area above the bridge (2-3 feet of water all the way across). The water was clear and you could see the carp from FAR away. I probably saw 30+ carp over 15 pounds just cruising the flats.

Smallmouth - fished some deeper pockets upstream with small brown/yellow crankbaits, no hits.

All in all, a good day of fishing. I am impressed with this fishery. It was memorial day, so there was some boat traffic and jet skis on the ponds... but upstream of the ponds belonged to the kayaks and one small duckboat... and the best fishing by far was there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.