Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FINALLY broke my new Tarpon 160 in on Bennetts Creek in Suffolk. Fished from 1700 to 2230 using bottom rigs and fish bites. Caught one one-clawed blue crab. Saw what I swear was an18" striper break the surface like he was evading something.

Wasn't really "fishing fishing"--wanted somewhere sedate to take her out for the first time. And man, what a beautiful night. Got some cool poics. Saw a deer swin across the Creek, a raccoon digging on the exposed flats (it was low tide) , and a bald eagle that flew by twice (he moved too quick for my wimpy digital camera).

Anyway, now I know where the rod holders are going, and she needs and anchor for certain. Going to be a busy week I hope.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
What? NOBODY fishes Bennett's Creek?!?! Dey got sum MI-T-FINE croaker in there...

[tongue][wink]

Plus, won a pair of flush mount rod holders on Ebay for $19.

Heh.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've only been once, but I'll tell you what I know...and dern if it weren't a pretty ride!!

Bennett's feeds into the Nansemond, which I think feeds into the James, which'll end you up in the Bay.

There's a put-in at Bennett's Creek park, on Shoulders Hill Road (Left at Lancaster Farms on 17) I think---I have a friend that lives a little further up so I put in at his house. We passed the pier, so I know the park is there, jus not exactly where 'there' is. I don't think they chgarge at the park.

Beacuse it was my first ride, we put in about slack tide (they say the tide is about 3 feet or so, so I guess the current can get strong) which may account for the slow bite that day, but according to my friend, they do get right many croaker up there. There were alot of sizable spalshes that day, and tons of bait fish--just none biting. Take some crabbing gear with and you'll hit the jackpot there!

I'll have to ask Cory if puppydrum head up there--the habitat is similar to where we used to fish for them around Lynnhaven.

From the ramp to the Nansemond is about two miles, MOST of it No Wake. BEE-YOU-TIFFLE.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BTW--I was sorta being sarcastic with my second post.

I HAVE heard good things, and it is pretty. If you take only a camera it'll be worth it, and maybe at a higher tide the bite will be on...

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Nice going guys good to see somone get out in this cold.
I put my boat in at Bennets Creek some years ago at a marina with a restaraunt there some years ago and when they were just starting to build the Merrymack bridge across the james. .So that was a lot of years ago I guess.
Gonna check out the launch place a the park in the spring with my yak. thanks for the info. I'll have to make a note of it and google it
hope you all enjoy your yaks there.
if you all see an old dude in a green yak there in the spring it'lll be me.
hope you all keep posting.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
just saw the dates on the posts Gosh didn't realize these posts were from 05 oh well!!
Except for yours kyakn i guess you brought them backby posting . maybe i'll see you out there in the spring then. welcome to the dark side

1 - 8 of 8 Posts