Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
other than one that is paid for whats the best new 25-30hp short shaft tiller for the money

personal opinions are welcomed

its for my 16ft Carolina skiff

I asked on the hull truth but they won't answer unless you are asking about 250-300hp

Thanks

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
I have a Mercury 25 HP EFI, four stroke and really like it. It's actually built by Tohatsu. It has been used in heay salt water, Va. Barrier islands, Pamlico Sound, etc. for the past two and one half years and has no corrosion issues at all. Periodically I pull start for kicks and it fires right up with an easy pull. It has tilt and trim. The friends I fish with who are also boat owners are impressed with this motor. It came with a five year warranty.

·
Registered
11,249 Posts
I bought a 25 p Johnson, electric start in 2005 for a 16 ft.Carolina Skiff.It has run flawlessly ever since. I'ts on Lake Lanier Georgia at my son's house. He uses it every week of the year fishing or Bass & Stripers. I was talking ot a marine dealer that sells several name brand outboards new and used for many years.He's a top notch mechanic/owner.He said he would sell me anything I want but in hs opinion, the E-tech is the most reliable and least expensive maintenance wise.No scheduled maintenance for 5 years now.4 stroke oil changes can be expensive along with other 4 stroke maintenance . The days are long gone where 2 strokes smoke a lot, burn more fuel or are noiser than 4 strokesl .A friend of mine bought a 115 E-tech last year.I went fishing with him.It barely smoked, was quiet and ran smooth even at idle speed.Horse power against horse power, a 2 stroke has more power. A friend of mine traded a 40 hp. 2st. Merc in on a 50 hp Honda for his 13 ft. whaler.He said the 40 Merc. was faster than the 50 Honda.I had the same experience years ago with my 17 ft. trihull w/120 IO agains a 19ft. Sea Ray w 100 hp. Johnson.He ran away from me with the 100 hp John in a bigger boat.Just some thoughts.The 16ft. Carolina skiff with lge.frnt deck,front pedestal seat, trolling mtr. center storage seat,stern bench seat & 2 batteries runs 21 mph.wot.An outboard will burn approximately 10 % of it's hp in gasoline per hor wot.That means a 25 hp. @ wot. will burn around 2.5 gal of fuel an hr, regardless of the speed of the boat.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
I have a Mercury 25 HP EFI, four stroke and really like it. It's actually built by Tohatsu. It has been used in heay salt water, Va. Barrier islands, Pamlico Sound, etc. for the past two and one half years and has no corrosion issues at all. Periodically I pull start for kicks and it fires right up with an easy pull. It has tilt and trim. The friends I fish with who are also boat owners are impressed with this motor. It came with a five year warranty.
I had a 25 elec start tohatsu for several years . I loved it!

·
Registered
11,249 Posts
I guess they don't make any bad outboads anymore?Most engine problems stem from ethanol fuel anymore.In my 2014 Ford 150 (flex fuel) owners manuel,it states Engine will run rough til it warms up with E-15,and that's with the Eco 6cyl., 6 speed transmission. It reads, expect less fuel economy also.I would be more concerned about buying any new engine that isn't designed to run on E-15 for future usefulness/uselesness.

·
Registered
172 Posts
other than one that is paid for whats the best new 25-30hp short shaft tiller for the money

personal opinions are welcomed

its for my 16ft Carolina skiff

I asked on the hull truth but they won't answer unless you are asking about 250-300hp

Thanks
Ha Ha Ha on me, I saw this question on my feed this morning and thought " This guy must have one heck of a garden". Evidently I need more coffee.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts