Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Needs some advice from the pros. Some what new to fishing and need to know what the best rod and reel combo would be for bay trolling and some near shore tuna or drum fishing. Went to bass pro and left even more confused than when I walked in.

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
You can't go wrong with a TLD 25 combo. It will do everything you want at a reasonable price. You should be able to pick up a combo for around $180 from several different sources. Last year we were landing 140# marlin in MX on the BPS combo. It will, however, still be light enough for trolling for rock.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
5,686 Posts
Eminent Brother,
Every trolling seminar or talk I've ever been too recommends a level-wind reel for Bay trolling. Something like a Penn 320 GTI, 330 GTI, Penn 309 or one ot the other brand level winds. By counting the number of times the level-wind eye goes back and forth you can tell how much line you have out. But for tuna everyone says stay away from level-wind reels because they are so slow.

·
Premium Member
26,173 Posts
Penn 4/0 (113) works nice all around.There is no rod/reel combo that can do it all-that's why some of us :rolleyes: -own 50 outfits.;-) Try putting on Ande 50 lb pink line then 300' of 50lb braid for the bay.Take the braid off and store it on a spare line spool when you go off shore.Most fish inside of 20 fathoms are under 60 lbs. and a 4/0 will handle them.The 4/0 is even OK for sharks up to 100 lbs.Biggest tip is to fish a tight drag-you don't have the line that a 6/0 carries.Watch the newspaper for used equipment-some good deals now/then.The flea market next weekend at Solomons may have some big reels.The Annapolis show (2 weeks ago) is best for used offshore/heavy bay gear. Goog luck. Skip

1 - 4 of 4 Posts