Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright I am looking at 20ft CC's and keep narrowing it down to a few boats then change my mind. I keep going back to Maycraft and C-hawk because they are in my price range. I am looking for something I can do some drifting, trolling and also run trotline in the lower potomac. I normal go out by myself or with one or two others so over 20ft is gonna be hard for me to handle. Any suggestions?:confused:

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
5,686 Posts
Eminent Brothers,
How about a Parker 21SE. There are more then a few LTJ guides out there running Parker 21SE's and 23SE's.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
I'd have to say Chris Surowiec's Kencraft CHallenger was the best 21ft boat I have been on. That thing is solid and has a really nice deadrise and very high gunnels.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I keep coming back to Maycraft but people say the ride is ruff and the hull is light. I really like the looks of the boat I guess I need a sea trial....this winter needs to leave soon

·
Registered
12,450 Posts
That's easy Parker.....My first boat was a Kencraft and it was really nice also......but Parker..........:)

·
Registered
338 Posts
As Russ said above check out the Kencraft CC. They now market them under the name Seaking if you want a new one or pick up a used Challenger hull. I flat out love mine it's stable at a drift yet when things get snotty it doesn't beat my kidneys out my ass.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Seapro 22cc with a 225 verado and on a trailer for 31k. you can probally can do better then that price since i heard florida boats in pasedena is selling out.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Southport 26 with twin 250 Verado's best riding boat I've been on to date.:D

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
There is no "best boat."

My advice, spend plenty of time with others and their boats, see what you like, what you don't, what boat matches your style of fishing, and buy used. The average boat gets used about 100 hours per year and you can find some real deals on boats that someone else has taken the initial hit of depreciation.

A new Parker 18' at Tri-State was $27,000+ boat, motor, trailer. Very nice boat, but for $15,000 you can find pages of quality used boats suitable for the bay...just my $.02

Wait til after you buy the boat and start rigging it, taxes, title fees, registrations, insurance, inspections, operation and maintenance. That's when you will really start spending!

I just bought used, a 21' Paramount, sells new for about $40,000, paid $7500 to a guy who was forced into a January sale when having to transfer to Florida. I bet the boat doesn't have 200 hours.

Think about it...

·
Administrator
18,673 Posts
I recently answered someone via email when they were asking me about getting a new boat, in this case the person was considering a Jone Brothers. Same considerations as you have having, here is my reply below which hopefully helps. Know that these might not be in your price range, but it might be possible to find a used Parker around. A lot of guys are going to the 23ft, so there might be some 21's around. Check the Tidal Fish Classifieds.

I do have the 21 Parker SE and having been on both the Jones Brothers and the Parkers I would strongly encourage you to go with a Parker for reasons I will outline, having said that it is as you know all personal preference. (As a side note I also have a 12ft jon boat, had a 14 and a 16 as well, run a friends 26 Regulator and an 18ft Maverick Flats boat in Florida as well as sometimes drive my friends 74ft Viking. Past boats I have had experience with include a 45 Cabo Express and a 22 Grady White Center Console.) The reason I suggest Parkers is that the added beam makes a big difference when drift fishing as we light tackle and fly anglers usually do. I have had three people fishing, all of us on the same side and the boat is stable as can be. Also you still get a good ride because of the way the Parkres are designed as well as a really shallow draft. Just my 2 cents having had experience on both the Parkers and the Jones Brothers and comparing the two. When I was getting my 21 Parker I did look at the JB's really hard, but for the reasons outlined went with Parker.

Length: As for length and your inclination to do some travel like I do as well as fish around the CBBT more often, I would with out question go to the 23. I can not speak for JB off the top of my head, but in the Parkers the difference between the 21 and 23 is about 300lbs, no loss of draft and about 80% better ride in my opinion. I would assume the JB is not much different and would go with the 23 either brand because the difference in weight and ease of towing is not even noticeable, but the ride difference is really big. When I travel with Bill I drive sometimes and pull his rig and there is little to no difference in towing other then the length which I also do not notice really at all.

Motor: Go as big as you can, in your example the 200 Honda. I am not a proponent of under powering any boat. If you do not want to use the power you do not have to, but if you need it and want it in certain situations, like you have a storm coming, you have flat water and can make a quicker run home, or you are in rough water and that extra power gives you a bit more control riding up and down waves at varying speeds are all reasons to get the bigger engine.

Trailer:
I am huge proponent of bunk trailers and have one. Lower center of gravity when towing, you can launch from lower water levels giving you better access to different ramps, I believe the bunks support the boat better, the bunks do not leave marks like rollers, you can drive the boat right up it at the ramp and the maintenance is minimal.

Hope this helps.

Brandon

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have had a ProLine 22' CC for 5 years. Fish from the flats to PTL in some pretty rough seas all I can say is the boat will do better then you ......PS you will not get wet>>>>

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Brandon's Suggestions

Brandon's suggestions are all good but do consider this:

Big is better and with big you get,

*An additional trailer axle is 2x the issues with bearings, springs, brakes, etc.

* Every 2' is a sizeable increase in purchase price, fuel and insurance.

* 21' boats and under require full flotation, 23' is an option on behalf of the boat builder.

* What type of tow rig do you have to pull that 23' boat ! Unless you already own the truck, that is someting else to consider. See Brandon's earlier post about the Toyota Tundra, very good thread he initiated for us boaters.

Without a doubt I would prefer a 23' over a 21' boat, it just prices me out of the market several different ways being a lowly civil servant with children. I see that you too are price conscience and that is why I bring up these points.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I have been fishing on a buddies Cape Craft for the last few years--it has been a great boat - He has a 21' CC that has a walkin console--much more secure storage than most other 21s I've seen--handles great

Hans

1 - 20 of 72 Posts