Tidal Fish Forum banner
41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I don't find the lack of a small box to crawl into, i.e.: a head, to be a big deal. My friend's regulator has one, but it pitches so much in the smallest chop that I don't know how you would use it. You'd almost be better using the head while the boat is up on plane!
that is funny :rolleyes: any boat whith a 24 degree dead rise at the transom will rock more than a 18-20 but it takes 2-3 footers to make it pitch the way you are discribing, but on the upside you can run WOT in those same conditions while drinking your favorite beverage VS wearing it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've owned a 20 ft Grady (Hatteras Overnighter), 13 ft Whaler (probably selling it this year), and now an 18 ft Parker CC. I also fish a lot out of a 19 ft Cobia CC and 25 ft Regal. All nice boats. I bought the 2000 Parker with the discontinued 130 yamaha this year used for $12,500 (excellent shape, not many hours). Look for a good deal, they are out there. Go with the bunk trailer.

I think the choice is either the 18/19 ft or move right up to the 23 ft. The 18 ft is fine for the bay and can go where the 21 can take you (maybe a little wetter though). If you want to fish the CBBT in the winter you should have the bigger 23 fter. The 18 Parker is easy to trailer and you can use a smaller tow vehicle, great gas mileage (3 to 3.3 mpg).

(Although if $$ wasn't an issue I would have gotten the Regulator!)

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
as info - with a 4 stroke or HPDI, you'll get even better mileage.

My 21SE gets 4.5 mpg on average. Typical cruise is 30mph at 4000rpm.

Top speed 45 mph on MTBE gas and 40 degree temps.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Another .02 FWIW. I had a Kencraft Challenger 206CC. Beefy boat that's undervalued in my opinion. Very good fit and finish with a large fuel capacity and a head in the console. Good seaboat with a 150 and easy to handle. With a tandem trailer it weighed around 4000 with full fuel so you need to consider the tow vehicle as well.

As others have said, go for a sea trial. Someone mentioned Gootees for Maycraft. I've dealt with them before and would highly recommend them. Good luck

John

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
that is funny :rolleyes: any boat whith a 24 degree dead rise at the transom will rock more than a 18-20 but it takes 2-3 footers to make it pitch the way you are discribing, but on the upside you can run WOT in those same conditions while drinking your favorite beverage VS wearing it.
Fair enough, "smallest chop" was understating it, they probably were 2-3 foot waves that day, and it really wasn't meant to be an anti-Regulator comment- it's just that the pitch at idle speed was such a contrast to the incredibly smooth ride at WOT.

It was more meant to be a comment on the fact that a "console head" is not everything its cracked up to be. I looked at a lot of used boats before buying- many boasted a head that "had never been used" for anything besides storage. By all means, if anyone feels the need to share their fond memories of toilet use at sea, bring it on.

By the way, my favorite beverage comes in 10 oz. cans, so it's a little easier to handle..... but I try to keep them few and far between when I'm at the helm.

·
Registered
11,143 Posts
Alright I am looking at 20ft CC's and keep narrowing it down to a few boats then change my mind. I keep going back to Maycraft and C-hawk because they are in my price range. I am looking for something I can do some drifting, trolling and also run trotline in the lower potomac. I normal go out by myself or with one or two others so over 20ft is gonna be hard for me to handle. Any suggestions?:confused:
I believe you've narrowed it down to 2 good choices for your needs.As mentioned,gunnel height will be important to you. While trotline crabbing,you don't want it too high.Custom Eastern shore crab boats are built with a low midship height with a raised bow to knock down seas before they splash in,but not too high that it makes it difficult to see ahead of you.While fishing,I like a gunnel height about knee height for feeling safe in heavy seas(you've got plenty of that down there) but low enough to reach down and grab a fish without having to net it.Sit in the boat you choose,and try to get a feel of how it will be while crabbing and fishing.Then,go for a Sea Trial before you buy,and on a day that is about as choppy as you'd expect to be out in,say 10-15 winds and see how it handles in all sea directions.Once you buy it,it's too late to get your money back.They all ride nice on a showroom floor.I've owned 30 something boats and I've made that mistake.No deal til you ride in rough waters.Good Luck

·
Registered
238 Posts
My son and I bought a 2012 218 DLV Carolina Skiff with a 150 Yamaha Four Stroke and we love this boat. We wanted a boat for fishing, crabbing and family fun, this model fits the bill perfectly. The hull has a 16 degree dead rise at the bow, 11 degrees at midship, 9 degrees at the transom and this boat is extremely dry riding. We have been out in some pretty choppy water over the last two months and we haven't been wet yet. We have ton's of storage and room to move about in the boat, even with five or more anglers. This model is great for Inshore, bays and shallow water. The boat will draft as little as nine inches. Our boat has the flip up back seats which seat four adults and they fold down to make a rear casting deck. We have dual batteries located under the console in the center allowing us plenty of storage in the front and back of the console. We also have a battery shut-off switch. Our console seat is a stand-up model which has a flip down back for additional height as a butt seat, or you can use the back rest and fold down foot rest for comfort on the longer runs. Also the stand-up seat has four rocket launcher rod holders and a storage tray under the seat as well as a large Coleman cooler. This seat is only available on the 218 size and larger. Our Trailer is a heavy duty I beam aluminum Load Rite with Sea-bunks and LED tail lights. Our dealer orders extra long trailer tongues, which are three foot longer than most. This helps to keep ypur vechile wheels out of the water even on low tide, my tires never enter the water. We have been using the boat in the Indian River Inlet and bay in Delaware as well as some short runs out in the ocean. Great all around boat. We made our purchase at Sandpiper Marine in Accomac. Virgina.

·
Registered
6,708 Posts
Have you given any thought to a cat Twin Vee, Port Erie, Seacat, Procat?
I'd put my 19' Twin Vee cat against any 20' conventional hull in rough conditions. My Suzuki 4 stroke has been flawless. I've had this boat 10 years and it's never let me down.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
For bang for the buck, Look at ProLine, Sea Pro, Cobia, Key West, or even the Carolina Skiff Sea Chaser. If you can afford it, look at Grady, Parker, Judge, or Mako. All of these boats mentioned above are built like tanks.

Get something with a lot of deadrise (an angle measured upward from a horizontal plane at keel level http://www.answers.com/topic/deadrise#ixzz22VaJtMKx), essentially, a deep vee. Make sure that it has a lot of freeboard as well (distance between the water line and the freeboard deck http://www.answers.com/topic/freeboard#ixzz22Vb5OpdO).

Let me throw something else out there. Unlike what I did, you might consider a walk around. You have less deck space, but with a W/A, you extend your season into December with that enclosed cabin. If I had it to do over again, I would probably get a W/A. There is no perfect boat; when you make a choice, you will be giving up something. Definitely get one with a deep vee and a lot of distance between the waterline and the deck.

·
Registered
14,052 Posts
You can see by this thread that there is no perfect center console for the bay. There are MANY good ones and it's all personal preference. The is no perfect fishing rod or gun either! Good luck no matter what you choose...................Gary

41 - 60 of 72 Posts