Tidal Fish Forum banner
61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Test drive the boat you think you like on 3 different occasions .... 1 smooth calm day 2 choppy day 1-1.5 ft seas 3. when your getting those 2 to 3 ft seas see how it handles. If not how you would like, move to next one ... remembers opinions are like a** holes.........

I keep coming back to Maycraft but people say the ride is ruff and the hull is light. I really like the looks of the boat I guess I need a sea trial....this winter needs to leave soon

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
The asnwer is yes! many good boats if the price is right. Look for a great deal. Have fun deciding. many good deals aroung,

·
Registered
657 Posts
My maycraft 2550xl draws less than 2 ft with twins. Runs straight as an arrow for crabbing. The flat bottom makes for a stable platform to bottom fish from without the rocking, and rolling that the deep V's have to deal with, when drift fishing. As for the Weight aspect of the boat it I has a 142 gal tank, Fill that sucker up and the boat is plenty heavy. The bow hook cuts though the waves with ease. As long as you don't want to do 30kts through heavy chop the ride is good.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I've had the pleasure of fishing with Grizzdog on his Parker 21se, she's a sweet craft and he's a good guide. Of course I can't help myself from sayin how much fun I'm having fishing my Bluewater 2350. Perhaps not the swiftest overall and certainly not the quietest with that OX66 250 on the back but she's got a quick hole shot and handles seas real well...not many of her make in these parts.

·
Registered
533 Posts
You can see by this thread that there is no perfect center console for the bay. There are MANY good ones and it's all personal preference. The is no perfect fishing rod or gun either! Good luck no matter what you choose...................Gary
Right on all counts but you would have to admit that the 870 Remington comes awfully close to being the perfect gun.

·
Registered
14,053 Posts
Right on all counts but you would have to admit that the 870 Remington comes awfully close to being the perfect gun.
Got one!:thumbup: but it won't hit a deer at 300 yards. It does have an unmistakable sound to an intruder in the middle of the night w/o firing a shot.:yes:............Gary

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Got one!:thumbup: but it won't hit a deer at 300 yards. It does have an unmistakable sound to an intruder in the middle of the night w/o firing a shot.:yes:............Gary
Have one too. And if the intruder is ready to fire while you are making noise???? Locked and loaded or empty chamber, that is the question?

·
Registered
14,053 Posts
Have one too. And if the intruder is ready to fire while you are making noise???? Locked and loaded or empty chamber, that is the question?
Mine is locked and loaded BUT I would still rack a round as soon as I heard an intruder. As a retired police officer, I am not into shooting any one else. If I can scare them off with the unmistakeable sound , I will. If danger is in my face, a trigger pull is the warning shot. Man did this thread take a turn. Guess I started it with no best boat and no best gun. Peace out!:peace:..............Gary

·
Registered
1 Posts
My son and I bought a 2012 218 DLV Carolina Skiff with a 150 Yamaha Four Stroke and we love this boat. We wanted a boat for fishing, crabbing and family fun, this model fits the bill perfectly. The hull has a 16 degree dead rise at the bow, 11 degrees at midship, 9 degrees at the transom and this boat is extremely dry riding. We have been out in some pretty choppy water over the last two months and we haven't been wet yet. We have ton's of storage and room to move about in the boat, even with five or more anglers. This model is great for Inshore, bays and shallow water. The boat will draft as little as nine inches. Our boat has the flip up back seats which seat four adults and they fold down to make a rear casting deck. We have dual batteries located under the console in the center allowing us plenty of storage in the front and back of the console. We also have a battery shut-off switch. Our console seat is a stand-up model which has a flip down back for additional height as a butt seat, or you can use the back rest and fold down foot rest for comfort on the longer runs. Also the stand-up seat has four rocket launcher rod holders and a storage tray under the seat as well as a large Coleman cooler. This seat is only available on the 218 size and larger. Our Trailer is a heavy duty I beam aluminum Load Rite with Sea-bunks and LED tail lights. Our dealer orders extra long trailer tongues, which are three foot longer than most. This helps to keep ypur vechile wheels out of the water even on low tide, my tires never enter the water. We have been using the boat in the Indian River Inlet and bay in Delaware as well as some short runs out in the ocean. Great all around boat. We made our purchase at Sandpiper Marine in Accomac. Virgina.
Do you still have this boat? what are your thoughts of it after the long term? What mods did you make and recommend?

61 - 72 of 72 Posts