Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With Pickerel season upon us, I'm hoping to find some gloves that are thin enough to allow me to fish while wearing them, while still warm (water resistant would be another big plus). As for socks, I wear some pretty thick wool ones but they don't quite do the trick, especially when wearing rubber boots or waders. I'd appreciate any recommendations.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I found some great gloves at REI. They're thin, waterproof, and keep my hands/fingers pretty warm. Their people are very helpful and if you tell them what you're looking for, they can point you in the right direction. I also saw some good stuff at Bass Pro Shops.

·
Premium Member
2,640 Posts
what seadog said, but use them with some inserts that hold the warmers in a special pouch. otherwise its like having a bag of stuff under your toes, not comfortable. i got the inserts a bass pro

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks!

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
435 Posts

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
I will back seal skinz also. I have a pair and theya re completely waterproof and great for holding braid and mono and fish. I am buying a pair of their socks soon also! Great all around

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I wear thick wool socks with the seal skinz over top w/crocs :)eek:) in the cold on the boat and they're great. Worth checking out....

·
Registered
657 Posts
SmartWool heavy weight socks are by far the warmest and best moisture wicking socks available.
I have tried many others under a wide variety of conditions, hiking, mountain climbing, winter camping,hunting etc... They are by by far the best money can buy.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
For socks I use Thorlo synthetic. Never had a problem staying warm in them. Start with an undersock...something like silk, or a very thin synthetic that will wick the moisture away from the skin. Then cover with a couple of medium weight Thorlo socks.

Dave

aka

·
Registered
66 Posts
My hands still get cold in seal skinz, but good for most fishing dexterity needs without having to take off. Have heard the smart wool socks are excellent, Hope Santa is lurking.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I wear Mysterioso Gear top, pants and Mysterioso socks as my first layer.

Layer wear: Kayak Fishing Gear and Fishing Kayaks

The Mysterioso gear is worth every penny.

I tried the sealskinz waterblocker socks but didn't like them. They left my feet feeling clammy. I think one time I tried the sealskinz over the mysterioso socks and the mysterios socks as usual wicked away the moisture and kept my feet dry.

Gloves, I have a pair of neoprene gloves and those $5 White River fleece fingerless gloves from Bass Pro Shop. I wear the the neoprene glove with fingers on the left hand and the fleece fingerless glove on my right hand.

When kayak fishing in the winter I usually wear the mysterioso top, pants and socks as a first layer, sweatpants over the mysterioso pants, nylon waders with neoprene booties and neoprene flat boots. The mysterioso socks, wader neoprene booties, and flat boots keep my feet warm. I wear a paddling dry top and depending on how cold outside a fleece layer over the the dry top and then my PFD.

This link has various cold water gloves and socks.
Gloves: Kayak Fishing Gear and Fishing Kayaks

·
Premium Member
26,227 Posts
Alot of guys overlook eating a big hearty breakfast.This fuels your body so you stay warm.Hot coffe in a thermos helps during the day.Be sure to eat a good lunch as well.Never hurts to sneak in a few donuts either :D.

I'm old school and still wear wool socks.Be sure to carry a spare pair and change if your feet get chilly.For gloves- military surplus stores carry a wool insert.I just wear that.It is designed to be worn under a heavy glove.

Do not forget a snug fitting watch hat - you lose alot of heat from your head.Your body responds to cold by pulling heat away from your arms/legs - dress in layers to trap your body heat.A hooded sweatshirt keeps your neck warm.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Alot of guys overlook eating a big hearty breakfast.This fuels your body so you stay warm.Hot coffe in a thermos helps during the day.Be sure to eat a good lunch as well.Never hurts to sneak in a few donuts either :D.
:yes: Fuel the furnace. Very important to keeping warm. Your body burns calories trying to maintain temperature. High fat not sugar is even better. Sugars burn off faster. A nice fat egg and bacon samich is great.

Another key is hydration. Not something always thought of when cold but another key to help stay warm.

And smart wools socks are the only way to go. LL Bean outlet in Queenstown has factory seconds cheap and I can't tell the difference in them. Just be sure to leave me some. About time to stock up again.:D

Andy

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I got a pair of neoprene gloves from BPS earlier this year. I wore them this morning for the Latrobe Turkey Trot. I could not pick up a dime with them, but my hands were warm the entire time.

·
Registered
94 Posts
My 2 cents for footwear-Bridgedale heavyweight socks inside white waterman's boots, with Grundens heavyweight overalls pulled down over tops of the boots. I look like a clown, but I'm toasty in most winter conditions. If it's really cold I'll add a silk mountaineering-weight liner in the sock. If it's cold enough to get through all that, I don't want to be out there anyway.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I wear polypropylene glove liner, there extremely thin and easy to work in. there not water proof but they insulate just as well wet so you still stay warm. and best of all there really cheap.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts