Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Man what an afternoon bite of Cape Henry. First we left Lynnhaven on a buddies boat and when we reached just inside the demarcation the sky was full of birds and fish were rolling. So I talked him into doing some lite tackle casting. We caught a few small but FAT FAT FAT fish. Heard some action over at 4A but he wanted to head South. So we did. Made it just above the Corrola Light and birds going off. No fish. Run a little more and put in. Hook up with a fat 27# 38"er, troll a little more Fat 32# 40"er. The marks we had when we caught the second fish were awesome but the captian saw some boats down the beach and he kept heading that way. Oh Well! We troll around and catch a DOG FISH. Someone gets on the radio and says they are limited out in about an hour South of the Light (We were 4 miles North of it) We run down there and nothing! Whales were all around there! Slow fishing equals practical jokes, I warned him about that. So after some coaxing We pickup to see if the afternoon bite is on at Cape Henry like Yesterday before it gets to late.

Man was it ever. Run up the beach and from Rudee to Cape Henry and inside it is GOING OFF LIKE I HAVE NOT SEEN IN YEARS! I mean fish rolling on the surface for the entire stretch from Rudee to Cape Henry. The sky was a cloud of birds for as far as the eye could see. After catching a bunch I once again convined my Captian into light tackle fishing. He started catching and had a ball. Catching four fish in about 15 minutes. I caught three and lost one on the bow. Would have had more but when we finally had the fish around us a boat came up next to us to see if the fish were biting. Can you believe that bird are going off around us, fish coming out of the water, Menhaden Jumping to get away and they are 20 yards away from us asking if We are having any luck!! I told them we were until they pushed them out. They were close enough for me to talk to them. After that we headed in. Get back the inlet behind my buddies house and the water is REAL LOW! He is figuring out his new boat and the controls when we stray about 6' out side of the narrow water way back in Little Neck inlet and a ground we go. We start trying to power our way out,but I am fearing the motors will get burned up so In I go, Yep Grundions and all. Push us out about two foot has he uses the bow thruster and powers out of the mud and we make it back to the dock. The Water is so low back there even an 1:30 after high tide. What an adventure and some great fishing.

PS: The fish outside of Rudee were Females of all sizes. Empty bellys. Even the 30 inchers were females. Looks like the cold snap has pushed them out of the upper bay finally. They looked like they were just fat, but after cleaning them every one was full of row. The ones we caught South were full of Bunker and no row. Be careful and try and save some of the girls.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
The tides have been running real low for the past two weeks. The weekend before last was the lowest I've seen in about 10 years.

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
SWEET JOB MAN - we opted for the lesser morning boat ride with no fish !! LOL good on you guys !! WTG

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Glad you came up and found them. A buddy called me and wanted me to jump on his boat in the afternoon, so we left lynnhaven and got right on them at around 230 around the green can. Limited out quickly on 36-40'' fish and stayed around and played with them catching another 30 or so. Fun trip with two people.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jake, thanks for the call we were at Rudee and were about to set in and ran down a little more to see the fish everywhere. Awesome is the only way I could say aboru yesterday. I wahe bow of the boat when they were rolling and watched several single and double bunker on top of the water running as I watched stripers chasing them. I stopped casting to watch it happen.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Seems like all the females I've caught off VA Bch were full of row as well and had empty stomachs. They were fat fish for the most part. Why is this?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts