Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have bought a hunting layout boat that is constructed of
fiberglass over wood bottom and the top deck is paint (Pettit I think) over wood. This boat is a lot like a heavy, low riding sit inside kayak.

The top paint over the wood is cracked and I plan to sand it down and cover with a heavy base paint/primer paint to seal it better. Any suggestions on step to take and paints/sealers to use??

I'm not worried at all about the fiberglass bottom, it's fine.

Thanks!
Todd

I'll try to take a pic tomorrow and post it here.

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
Don't be too concerned with the cracking as long as it's not peeling. Sand everything removing any high spots and making sure you end up with a dull finish on the existing paint. No it's not necessary to sand down to the bare wood. Wipe everything down with a cloth dampened with paint thinner. Allow to air dry about an hour to make sure no solvents are flashing off. Apply 2 coats of Interlux PreKote Primer followed with 2 coats of Interlux Brightside. Just make sure you give each coat of primer and each coat of paint at least 24 hrs to dry. Don't try to hurry the job. Hope this has been a help. I'm a retired professional painter so I know a little about painting.[wink]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts