Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since it is too cold to dive local - how about sharing your best dive story from 2008.

Mine was an unplanned night dive in the Chesapeake near Annapolis ,Md.We were anchored at night and fishing a small wreck when it got rough and the anchor dragged into the wreck and snagged.I suited up and went after it - my crew thought I was nuts.It was really cool because my light attracted all sorts of tiny critters and minnows.Then Bluefish and White Perch came in to feed.Awesome to see them right at my mask- viz. was only 2 feet.

·
Registered
805 Posts
2008 was a better than average year for finding things on the bottom, some times when not even looking for them. I found five diffrent small ol wreck sites most showing just pcs. of the wreck here and there but holding fish.

Best of luck to you in the new year!

Spearo

·
Registered
443 Posts
hey spearo are those wrecks here in the lower bay? and when i have more time i will post a story about my cenote dive in cancun!

·
Registered
805 Posts
Sorry diggy, they're in NC.

You may want to wait a bit before the cenote dive thing... there will be plenty of time before the next divin season but "the real pain" starts around Jan. or Feb. I'll need it then!:<)

·
Registered
787 Posts
One of the nicer dives of this past year occurred on a family vacation to NC. Up to that point Kimi did not have any ocean dives under her belt. I wanted to get her out into the salt water. We caught a nice weather window and headed out to a stack of concrete pipes just outside of one of the AR sites. I picked the location for its relatively shallow depths (55ft) and visability. I was also praying for no toothy critters. Most of the major wrecks in that area have a wide selection on large toothy fish that aren’t all that shy. I desperately wanted to avoid the taxman scene on her first salty dive.

As we suited up the anxiety level on the boat was hovering somewhere up around the top of the VHF antenna’s. I was surprised at how nervous she was and did my best to keep her calm and focused. Secretly, since she was so wired I was concerned that she would snap during the dive. I was making mental checklist on how to handle that situation. Fortunately I never needed to do anything at all. Due to her anxiety, I formed a very simple dive plan. We where simply going to get in the water, slide down the anchor line, once on the bottom we where going to simply hang on the line, breath and look at all the pretty sea bass… And that’s what we did… For a bit.

The anchor had landed in the middle of the site and we had all makes and models of fish to check out… Including Gigantic Tog and Keep sized Gags in darn near every pipe. As I look around with the 35’ Vis, I could count at least 8 shooter Gags…This is where it became tough for me… In my right hand I had the anchor rode… In my left hand I had a Rob Allen 120… And on each shoulder I had one angel and one devil… The angel was preaching something about not shooting and bringing in all the toothy’s which would ultimately scare the hell out of Kimi. The devil was saying… We’ll he was talking fish dinner. I was in what I believe we would call a moral delema.

In the end, I never did pull the trigger. Not even once. We swam around eventually and looked at all the “pretty fish”… It was a great dive. It put Kimi over her jitters and she wants more. As a matter of fact when we got topside, she looked at me and said “ Why didn’t you shoot any of those Grouper? That would have been cool to see!” We got the hook in her now! That was my favorite dive of ’08 although is was probably the most sedate dive of the year.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Im going to get certified soon, So I snorkel... for now so I go in my local pond. Not very clean and the leeches suck but It's all fun and games when you tick off a snapping turtle! The water is fairly clear and very abundant with life witch makes it worth swimming in. The only actual dive I went to this year was in the West river to get back my new crab pot. Not so clear and got a little startled when a skate hit my dive line. Hopefully more for 2009

·
Registered
98 Posts
I don't know if this counts but we did our annual ice dive training last weekend, 50 degrees, and 18 inches of ice, beautiful day. I just can't get over how crystal clear the water is everytime. Have some pics to share if your interested. Just a local lake dive, but it was great to be in the water anyway.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Here you go Nauti Broker!

These are the pics of the ice dive Nauti was telling us about. They look pretty cool (with or without the pun!) I'd imagine you guys hang a ladder for climbing out? Thanks for sharing the pictures. You'll have to fill us in on the details of the dive.

·
Registered
98 Posts
We do three to four training dives each season, the ice dives are by far the least favorite by most. There are a few of us that do enjoy them especially on days like this one. Realatively warm air temps 45-50 degrees. The viz on these dives is 100' well maybe not quite but what is most stiking is the type of light, it's really hard to describe because it's really light but yet it's defused light, if you ever get below a heavy thermal with clear viz under it it's really similar and awesome. The water temps are mid 30's at the surface and once you get to the thermal it hits 54 degrees, yep a lot warmer about 35 feet. As far as bottom time between the amount of gear you use and the type of gear, dry gear burns a fair amount of air on it's own, and the fact that your a lot more boyant in cold water making you work harder through out the dive your lucky to get 25 minutes on the bottom at 50 - 60 feet. The fisherman will love the exit from the hole, they basically yank you out of the water by your safety line and your gear, not pretty but very effective. I know how a fish feels. Thanks for putting the pics up, one of these days I'll find a place to put them. Hope everyone enjoys.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Sounds cool. I was wondering about the light conditions with the ice. I don't know if its similar or not, but two summers ago we were diving at winter quarter shoal. The top 15' had terrible murcky vis, but at 15' it opened up to gin clear water. The effect of the murck on top with such clear water below made it seem like you where diving in an old photograph. It was a strange day. Very cool though.

If you are looking at a place to host pictures, you may want to try Welcome to Flickr - Photo Sharing. Thats what I've been using and it works well.

·
Registered
98 Posts
BINGO - you hit it right on the head, that's what I was saying about the heavy thermal. It's not quite as amber, it's a cool white light basically, but the effect is almost the same.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts