Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother is about to head overseas to East Africa to work for our Gov't. He loves hunting and fishing as much as I do and I'm sure he'll be doing both over there soon. Looking to get him a quality knife as a going away present. Can't be electric (which I'm personally hooked on) as to voltage problems. What's the best quality "tough" knife that TFer's recomend? I see a lot of Dexter Russells at the dock, but don't know if they are the Sani-Safe line or not. All responses appreciated in advance. BTW, he's probably looking at cutting up large (50 lb. +) Nile Perch and offshore fish. Mark

·
Premium Member
26,271 Posts
Picking a knife for some one is tough - everyone likes a different brand / way a knife feels.

Two all around knives that won't break the bank:

Forscher - victorinox - # 40613

Dexter - P 94812

Both have plastic handles.

Be sure to get a honing steel - plus a sharpener.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Make sure if you get the Dexter Russel, get either the Sani-Safe or the Soft Grip....... The sets that BP carry I believe are the Basic.......and the steel is made overseas vs USA steel........There is a difference!!! I personally like the SoftGrip Dexters the best.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Hey Mark,

Sounds like a very nice gesture on your part, and something he’ll be glad he has, especially coming from his brother … but ya can’t give a knife as a gift. Legend has it that he’ll need to give you a coin (any coin) in exchange for the knife, otherwise it will cut your friendship. Good luck in your search and safe travels to your brother. Hope he comes back with as many stories as you!

Ted

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
The Dexter Russell's you see the mates with cleaning at the dock are NOT the D-R International series. The BPS set are Internationals (if you zoom in enough you can read it on the blades). The Internationals are a lower quality line than the Sani Safe or Softgrip lines from D-R.

Whatever knife you get, make sure to get it with a sheath. Trying to find a sheath to fit a knife you already have is mighty tough.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Same as "Popster", replaced the Dexters last year. The Dexters won't hold a edge like the Forschner - victorinox knifes, plus I like the handles better.
Wish I knew, I would have bought them all from you. I do agree it does not hold the best edge, I sharpen it every time I use it, but, I love my Dexters. I have one which just looks like a sliver from sharpening it so much. I have never broken them either, and I have broken several knives. I'll take a durable knife I have to shapren often over a more flimsy knife which holds a better edge, but, it's personal preference.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions. Decided to get a couple Sani-Safe Dexter Russells on sale from Cabela's bargain cave. Got myself a new curved boning knife for cutting up deer too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts