Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering which parachutes you guys like best and where have you found the best place to buy them?

Also looking for two trolling rods. Was thinking like a 5'6 Ande with a Penn 309. Any suggestions on where to buy or does anyone have any for sale?

·
Registered
159 Posts
i fish a lot of skipjack lures . shore tackle has a nice selection in stock . order custom color and weight combos from the man . got some nice tuna sticks made there too. im happy

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
I make parachutes and no matter who makes them, they all catch. I believe in keeping it simple by using only two colors white or chartreuse. Rainbow colors catch at times and the colors sure catch the fisherman with money. There are many factors when buying them. Look at the amount of hair, check the thread coating to make sure it has a good covering. The paint is important also, ask whoever is selling them if the paint is power or vinyl. They are both good and will not chip easy. I do not like enamel, it looks good but it will chip easy.
I suggest you go to the Pasadena Sportfishing flea market/ Show for the best deals.
More on the Flea Market/Show go to Pasadena Sportfishing
Hope I have helped some what.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Warrens in Glen Burnie has nice lures. They also will have the rods and reels that you are looking for.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
George (fishleader) makes the slider lures I like. Although he says he only makes two colors (white and chartruse); he also does give you the option of them with black heads (which I like). IMHO sliders pick up less trash from the water and they allow for a swinging hook which reduce the possability of holes in the lip. The only drawback is you can't grab the head of the lure to either control the fish or lift it in the boat. Try some in your spread next spring. 5th (Marty)

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
BOATERSWORLD SELLS A PENN 330GTI COMBO FOR $99. ITS A VERY NICE LEVEL WIND REEL (EASY TO COUNT THE BARS) AND A NICE 30#-50# PENN ROD. IMHO YOU CAN'T BEAT IT FOR THE MONEY. THEY EVEN RAN A SPECIAL THIS FALL, BUY 2 COMBOS AND GET A $50 GIFT CARD. THAT'S $75 EACH:thumbup:. BEST DEAL I HAVE SEEN ON DECENT TROLLING GEAR.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Greg Buckner of the Miss Susie makes the nicest lures Ive seen
Tylers tackle is where to buy rods
Both are board members
Jeff
Jeff, You're right, Greg does make a very nice bait, got some from him last year. I sent him an e-mail about a week or so ago about getting some from him this year and he said to get in touch with him about March 1. His 4 oz bullet head chute with white hair and silver glitter head is a killer with a 9" shad.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I like Captain Tylers - - - you can get them at the Cap'ns at the Amish Market, or at the Tackle shop under the Solomons Bridge.

Right priced too !

BB

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
George at Tylers Tackle in Chesapeake Beach makes real nice rigs and is always up on where the fishing has been hottest. I buy all my rigs from him. He's having a sale this weekend -- Stop in and see him!

·
Registered
616 Posts
I really like the chutes that I have gotten from Greg Buckner--

One thing that I would HIGHLY recommend is that you really check the chutes over before you buy them--I bought a bunch from a local vendor last year and they were HORRIBLY put together--the eyes fell out really easily and the paint pretty much fell off the heads--those 2 things don't bother me that much since it didn't affect their catching ability. What bothered me a LOT was that the hair was not tied down very well--it spins around the body of the chute and fell apart pretty easily--I don't want to throw the name of the company out there yet--I am hoping he will be at one of the shows and we can work it out. Just check out the lures you buy closely.

Hans

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Hans is right on the money with this one. One reason that I started making my own was for that exact reason. I got tired of paying top dollar for cheaply made lures. Now, I have a winter hobby making my own, and know that they are assembled properly. Not to mention, I like to try new color schemes, and this allows me to do so. Good luck

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I really like the chutes that I have gotten from Greg Buckner--

One thing that I would HIGHLY recommend is that you really check the chutes over before you buy them--I bought a bunch from a local vendor last year and they were HORRIBLY put together--the eyes fell out really easily and the paint pretty much fell off the heads--those 2 things don't bother me that much since it didn't affect their catching ability. What bothered me a LOT was that the hair was not tied down very well--it spins around the body of the chute and fell apart pretty easily--I don't want to throw the name of the company out there yet--I am hoping he will be at one of the shows and we can work it out. Just check out the lures you buy closely.

Hans
My son had the same problem with some "Aliens" he bought at one of the shows. I don't know who he bought them from but the thing to check is how much thread is used to wrap the hair, how many wraps. The baits my son bought had very few wraps and that was the problem. The heads are still good and maybe I can find somebody to re-wrap them.

·
Registered
8,600 Posts
heck my parachutes dont start catching until I have dropped them on the deck and one of the eyes have fallen out.

I like the ones at Warrens Bait Box. Just the right amount of hair.

·
Registered
616 Posts
heck my parachutes dont start catching until I have dropped them on the deck and one of the eyes have fallen out.
I agree--I don't really think the eyes and head color matter that much--but I am pretty sure the hair helps:D

Heck, I like the lures to be missing an eye--it gives the fish a blind side to sneak up on...;-)

Hans

·
Registered
87 Posts
Get them from Buckner. The kid needs the money, running two first class charter boats in this economy ain't easy. If you ever watched him make the things you would know why they are so effective.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts