Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting my first boat soon, I wanted to know where is the best place online or in MD to get trolling gear? I am looking for 5-6 trolling combos I like the Shimano Tekotas but don't mind the Penn combos either. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!:thumbup:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Fishbones in Pasadena will have all of the tackle you are looking for. Bud Hein is the owners name and phone # is 410- 360- 0573. I hope this helps and good luck with the new boat!

·
Registered
873 Posts
I agree that I think Greg Buckner makes some of the best looking and catching chutes and rigs.

As for store fronts I suggest Marty's in Edgewater, AllTackle in Annapolis or Tylers in Ches beach.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Spanking Stripers for you parachutes you need to look at his stuff top notch as far as you umbrellas I would buy the umbrella arms and make them yourself its much more gratifying to catch fish on your stuff that you make plus it can be a lot cheaper look up jerry Norton from holy mackerel tackle he has some really good deals on rod and reel combos

·
Registered
88 Posts
I get my rods for tackle cove. You can probably get 5-6 for 12% off and free shipping. I get the tekotas off eBay for about 150 shipped. Great Lakes tackle is legit.

·
Premium Member
26,133 Posts
FWIW: On line shopping is OK but you'll come out way far ahead by dealing with your local (s ) shops. Yes , the price might be couple dollars higher but they'll help you select the right equipment - the first time.

Once the staff gets to know you - often you'll get inside info - no on line shop offers that.

Then there will be the time you need something at odd hour - safe bet local shop will figure out a way to get it to you.

I once broke a nice St. Criox rod that I use for live lining. Local shop owner offered to loan me his own rod - not knowing I have almost as many as his shop - but just goes to show the service you'll get.

Congrats on becoming a boat owner - you'll be amazed how fast your bank account goes down.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Ive gone to greentop, bass pro shops & cabelas in ashland VA. It's a ride, but its a nice trip & can be worth it if you get a sales flier in advance. http://www.greentophuntfish.com/
When all 3 have the right sales you can do well. I try to buy local otherwise. This time of year inline planers, drones & sea striker lures are what you want for blues, spanish mackerel & a striper if you are lucky to be Deale or north. if & when big stripers come back this fall, second on greg buckners' gear.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Buy local.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I recommend either Tochterman's (great folks who know fishing!) and Marty's (same deal - buy local from folks who KNOW fishing!)

·
Registered
717 Posts
Tochermans...... Once you go there you will not buy anywhere else...... Prices are good and they are great to there customers...... Welcome to the boat owners club!!!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks everyone for the information alot of these shops I have never heard of... I will contact Greg, I have been out out Miss Susie before and hes a good guy. I will try out some of the local shops before making any online purchases. I was trying to save a buck, but realize I want my gear to last and may not wanna go with cheap stuff.

Thanks again for the assist.

·
Registered
885 Posts
You want Holy Mackerel Tackle for best price on new gear for the Bay in bulk. The owner Jerry Norton is a local charter captain who sells out of his basement not far from Chesapeake Beach. If you are buying multiple Bay rods/reels, line, terminal tackle, etc. you would come out way ahead buying from him. Like others have said, I get my big rockfish parachutes in bulk from Greg Buckner. But all that other stuff is best procured from Holy Mackerel if you are looking to get the right stuff for the Bay at low price.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You want Holy Mackerel Tackle for best price on new gear for the Bay in bulk. The owner Jerry Norton is a local charter captain who sells out of his basement not far from Chesapeake Beach. If you are buying multiple Bay rods/reels, line, terminal tackle, etc. you would come out way ahead buying from him. Like others have said, I get my big rockfish parachutes in bulk from Greg Buckner. But all that other stuff is best procured from Holy Mackerel if you are looking to get the right stuff for the Bay at low price.
Thanks I will have to check him out also

·
Registered
385 Posts
Jerry Norton at Holy Mackerel Tackle in Deale has always been fair to me. 301-908-8361

I know a lot of the Beach charter guys use him too.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Marty's is a great shop in Edgewater for gear and tackle. I prefer to use Fishnuts(Rob) gear for spring trophy(he is a great guy and will explain how to use it) season. I have been catching a great number of fish since talking with him. I have been buying most of my summer stuff from Tristate in Deale(closer to home) good deal on the tackle and they almost always have anything you want in stock.

Mike

1 - 20 of 21 Posts