Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My preference is to fish artificial, but in case they aren't hitting lures what is the best rig for fishing herring? I'll be fishing the flats today and will start off with flies, but need a back up in case we don't stir anything up that way.

·
Registered
5,375 Posts
My method for using herring is to take a piece of leader (40# Ande mono) about 4' long and tie a simple overhand loop on one end. This is for your sinker. Use just enough weight to hold bottom. Come up about 4" and tie a small dropper loop. Attach the other end of the leader to a 60# swivel and attach your main line to the other end of the swivel. Snell a 7/0 close gap non off set circle hook with about 12" of leader. Loop the snelled hook leader through the small dropper loop. Some people like to fish two hooks so just come up 6" from your dropper loop and tie another and repeat with a snelled circle hook.

For the herring I like to cut it crosswise in 3/4" strips starting just behind the gills. Run your hook along the top of the backbone. You can also use the whole head, just hook it through the eyes.

Hope this helps out. Good luck and post some results.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Or you can just use a fishfinder rig above a coastlock swivel which attaches to your main line. Use approx. 2' of 40lb. leader to a 6/0 or 7/0 circle hook and attach live or cut herring. Link Slipsinker said, use just enough weight on the fishfinder to hold bottom. Let the fish run off, and just put easy pressure on the spool until the fish comes tight (do not set the hook).

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
That's a real good pic of a fishfinder rig but remember - you have to use a non-offset circle hook when using bait.

·
Registered
5,375 Posts
The fish finder is very effective. That's the same set up I use to live line white perch for rock, just a bigger hook.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you to everyone for the great advice. Got on the water today around 4:00, but no takers. Tried artificial first, then fresh herring. Had one run off, but no hook up. Either way was a beautiful day, and learned something new.

Thanks Again!!!!:clapping2:

·
Registered
317 Posts
You said it, picture perfect. A little chilly this morning, but it was like the heavens opened up around lunchtime. I can't wait til it warms back up again. I like the fishfinder rig or an egg singer works good too if you don't need much weight.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support Tidal Fish
63 Posts
Keep after em farmboy. You'll find them.

Jiggin for Stripers,

I think that's the twin to my boat you have there. Did you see the Just Reward by the #2 can when you went in? We never did find them today.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Keep after em farmboy. You'll find them.

Jiggin for Stripers,

I think that's the twin to my boat you have there. Did you see the Just Reward by the #2 can when you went in? We never did find them today.
I did. So that was you. Did you find any before you finished up? It was good talking to you out there.

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Foolproof Circle Hook method

The easiest way to use non-offset Circle Hooks is to simply leave the rod in the holder and let the fish hook themselves! The biggest mistake is trying to "set the hook", it's a natural reaction but it just pulls the hook right out of the mouth. Also, when hooking your herring, don't bury the hook point, leave it exposed so it will catch when the fish moves off with the bait.:fishing2:

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
I like the KISS rig for bottom fishing for bait. Snell you hook to the leader. Then about 2 or 3 feet up make a dropper loop. Attach your sinker to the dropper and you're done. This is most commonly used for togging but works fine in this situation as well. I use it for catfish as I don't bait stripers.

·
Premium Member
12,554 Posts
I take my fireline and run it thru a 1/4 or 1/2 oz. egg sinker, then tie on a barrel swivel, then put 4' - 6' of flourocarbon to a 6/0 - 8/0 circle hook.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts