Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to get a good spread for the spring. I know the fish are mostly in the top 15-25Ft of water, but I was wondering what everyone would suggest. Here is my set up:

2 Rods with Mono (40lb)
6 Rods with 65 Lb Power Pro
All rods most likly will have a 12 inch umbrella with parachutes (in the 2-6oz range)
I'm not sure if I will start to use planer boards or not?

When people talk about weight, do they usually mean "total weight" or "in line sinker" weight plus an average parachute (4-6oz)? Thanks for the insight.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Try and catch one of Capt Wayne Morgan's seminars and he'll show ya exactly what should work. He and many of the other legends of the spread will be presenting at a lot of th upcoming shows/seminare - check the TF Calendar of Events......

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Looking to get a good spread for the spring. I know the fish are mostly in the top 15-25Ft of water, but I was wondering what everyone would suggest. Here is my set up:

2 Rods with Mono (40lb)
6 Rods with 65 Lb Power Pro
All rods most likly will have a 12 inch umbrella with parachutes (in the 2-6oz range)
I'm not sure if I will start to use planer boards or not?

When people talk about weight, do they usually mean "total weight" or "in line sinker" weight plus an average parachute (4-6oz)? Thanks for the insight.
You are right in that the fish are in the top water. With that said...the mono will ride "higher" in the water than braid. I would use 6 rods mono and 2 rods braid. Definitly try to use boards. You can run more lines and get them out from under the boat in to the calmer water. If you notice when you troll the lines try to come together behind the boat. If you have a 9' beam you are only covering about 12' across the water. Now the larger boats will cover more with 12'-14- beams.

With the planer boards you greatly increas the water you cover AND with more baits, let's say you put your boards out 25'. your 9' beam has increased to 59'!! Make sure you paint the boards a bright color and maybe even use flags. They are a DEFINITE advantage. I would run everything in the upper water staggering the weights and 2 on braid deeper. I like bait in the water. we run 20" frames and a few with tandem parachutes on the frame. 12 rods. thats 96 6" shad and at least 12 hook baits, you will see captains running as many as 28 rods and covering alot of water space. It can get hairy out there in the spring and it gets worse every year. there are a TON of boats..seems you can walk across them. I would suggest getting your spread ..."spread" out a little.

we add no additional weight in the spring...only different weights of parachutes. the weights of your chutes are good, we put 12oz parachutes on the deeper rods run off mid gunnel. trim them all with 9" shad and 9/0 stinger hooks on the chutes up to 6 oz and 10/0 hook on the chutes over 6 oz.

Skip can hook you up with the boards and go in to detail on the best way to run them...

Good Luck

·
Premium Member
12,554 Posts
I think you should add boards to get a wider spread, and also have a deep rod. When you run over fish they go down or out from the boat. I also think you should run some tandems with the umbrellas. If you want to cut down on the drag an umbrella creates try replacing some or all the shads with lg. twistertails, makes less drag, gives great action and catches the same # of fish.

·
Registered
678 Posts
And the umbrella rigs don't have to all be those big 12" ones... I catch plenty on the smaller 7" 4 arm umbrellas... alot less drag than the big ones.
My plan is to normally try a mix of lures/colors and change as a pattern starts to develop.... Mix it up and have fun with it.... and don't be scared to try something others dont run... it may just become the next hot lick!

·
Registered
890 Posts
There are many, many correct ways to set up a spread.

Here is what you have to remember:
1. Cover the water column by using different size weights.
2. Stagger the distance from the boat with the lightest (shallowest) lines out the farthest.

If you are going to use all 12" umbrellas, I would keep it simple and put the same weight parachute on all. Run the 2 mono ones out the farthest-start at about 200-250ft for the Way Way Back line with no extra weight. The next mono with 3 oz of additional weight. Then the first braided rod with 3 oz, keeping in mind that it will run deeper than the identical weight mono. From there increase the weight and decrease the distance out until you get to about 20 oz of additional weight and about 75 ft out.

But there is no right way, as long as you run the lines at different depths and distances from the boat to not get tangled. I also like the smaller umbrellas- I use 4 and 6 arm 10" umbrellas without a lot of extra drag. I would also use some tandems, they catch great and have less drag. If you run tandems, I would use a 6oz parachute on the short leader and 3oz on the long- count this as 9oz total and add additional weight from there.

Everyone loves planers, I think they make it too complicated and are a real pain in the a$$. You can definitely pull 8 rods without them with great success.

·
Premium Member
26,271 Posts
Time flies-I go out before the season and play C/R.I can show you some tricks of the trade.Don't get locked into just umbrella rigs and you do want at least 1-2 rigs deep.Wayne will be at Tri-state on March 4th (Sunday).He does a great seminar and has a hand out that shows a good spread.If you fish during the week-planers are the thing to use. Skip

1 - 11 of 11 Posts