Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of buying a new rig and plan on having it quite awhile with todays prices. Question I need a pickup for work and also tow my boat right now I have a 17 footer but want to upgrade to a 22 or 24 in the future will a midsize do this? Gas is going to kill me. Any input is helpful. I know its not a lot of info but now just looking at options. THANKS

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
If I was towing anything in the 22 to 24 foot range (and I do) that will weigh in at around 6,500 to 7,500 pounds (and I do) with trailer, gas, passengers, and all the goodies, I would get nothing less than a 3/4 ton pickup with positraction rear end and a ratio no higher than a 3.73:1. The engine would be at least a 5.4 (Ford) or a 5.3 (Chevy). Get a heavy duty tow package so you have the extra cooling from the larger radiator, larger alternator, oil coolers (trans and power steering), heavy duty transmission with dash mounted transmission temperature gauge and such...........

Just my opinon........................ [wink]

·
Registered
57 Posts
Diesel. I have a F250 Superduty 6.0 diesel and it has no problem pulling my 25' Grady. I could probably pull my house of its foundation. Diesel is usually cheeper and better mileage than gas also.

·
Registered
178 Posts
get a two wheel drive nissan titan with factory tow package. best bang for $$.

factory tow package come with a different drive package.

·
Registered
411 Posts
DIESEL!!

F250 7.3 Ford Power Stroke

20 MPG Highway
17 MPG Mixed
16 Pulling 23ft Hydra-Sport

·
Registered
185 Posts
Ronnie, Diesel is the way. I can hook you up with the right truck....a RAM 2500 Cummins 5.9, it will be the best truck you can buy...with the Employee Pricing and rebate you cannot loose...also I am a manager and not working on commision. I am located in Williamsburg and can be reached at 757-645-5196.
Putting a guy in one Friday a $42,370. truck for $34,000.
REMEMBER: the cummins is tried and true, Ford wants to sell the cummins but can't.....Dodge ownes it [grin]..Call me.

DAVE

·
Registered
214 Posts
[Q]nicbuc originally wrote:
Ford wants to sell the cummins but can't.....Dodge ownes it [grin]..Call me.

DAVE

[/Q]

Cummins is an okay engine.....too bad it comes in Dodge. Not worth the savings. ....[grin]
Can you show documentation where International motors, or any other diesel engine, are not tried and true?

I haven't seen where Ford (seemingly planning future success' with an upcoming 6.4 twin turbo PS International motor) wants to sell Cummins and for the life of me.....never found documentation that says Dodge owns Cummins. Cummins co-owns a bunch of India and Chinese stuff, but they do not openly admit to being owned by Dodge. Chrysler/Dodge do own Detroit Diesel (leak like crazy) and Electro-Motive Diesel (big squeeze bang engines that like stack fires), Maybe you mean partnership?
If I'm wrong, I openly apologize and please post the prospectus/data/links for verification.
Yes, I own a Ford PS 6.0 and it has treated me well. Speaking as a diesel mechanic I'd like to see a Caterpillar, now that would kick it up a notch.
Sorry, don't want to derail a post

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Better run the numbers on gas versus diesel before you commit to a purchase. First off, with a 22 to 24 foot boat there is no reason to get a diesel.

After running the numbers when I was looking, I found that initial cost difference between the two and normal maintenance will nullify the any fuel savings for a long time. I did a spreadsheet, and disregarding the maintenance, the difference in initial cost causes fuel savings to even out at about 200,000 miles (Note: most people don't drive the same vehicle for that many miles). Then you factor in maintenance and .............. well I bought gas as it wasn't cost effective.

For instance, I have a tow rating on my 3/4 ton pickup of 9,800 pounds and an oil change costs me 5 quarts of oil and a filter for a total of about $18 versus a friend who has a pickup with a diesel that uses about 16 quarts of oil and filters for an oil change for a total of about $40 to $45 for the required maintenance. That's a difference of $22 to $27 for a mileage interval that's about the same as a gas engine.

I think owning a diesel would be neat to have, but I'll use the extra money in my boat. Now if I were pulling a 5 ton backhoe around everyday, I'd definitely have one.

Please note I have stayed away from naming a specific name brand vehicle, but I will say it won't be a Dodge with their drive line problems they've had over the years.......... transmissions are not cheap to rebuild.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Sandtiger,

Very good points.....the current diesel truck offerings do not justify the cost of maintenance. Especially for short local runs towing anything less than around the 8-9K pound mark.
Those Cummins motors have been plagued by fuel delivery problems as well. We were using 6B's for power generation and we had control board, fuel delivery and idler bearing issues. Their KTA-50's would eat up liners. I had a brand new KTA-50 block explode with less than 50 hours on it.
Had less issues with Cat's and they don't require a boat load of special tools.

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
If I was in the market for a new tow vehicle and it had to be a PU truck the Ford F-350 DRW with the Trailer Brake Controller would be my choice hands down.[grin]

·
Registered
57 Posts
On a gas engine you change the oil every 3000 miles. On a diesel its every 5000. Figure that into your Calculation. I have to admit I change my diesel every 3000 anyway. Makes me sleep better.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
[Q]Batabbom originally wrote:
On a gas engine you change the oil every 3000 miles. On a diesel its every 5000. Figure that into your Calculation. I have to admit I change my diesel every 3000 anyway. Makes me sleep better.
[/Q]
Calculations were done for every 3,000 miles on the oil change. My owner's manual for the gas engine also says every 5,000 miles, but I've always changed at every 3,000 and have done so for years. 5,000 mile oil changes are the recommended for both the diesel and gas (warranties are honored and such for up to 5,000 mile intervals) and since I change at 3,000 miles, my spreadsheet reflected that and used that mark for both engines as a fair comparison.

I used to be an aircraft mechanic in the Navy and my brother is an ASE certified A mechanic and we both agree on the 3,000 mile interval. So far using this criteria on past engines, it has gotten me good longevity with my engines. The reason I sold my last truck was due to parts and accessories going bad (A/C) and cost to upgrade was more then truck was worth (It was 13 years old). Engine had 189,000 miles and still going strong. So, I believe changing oil more frequently than the recommended 5,000 miles is cheap insurance.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Diesel is the way togo. I have had a 96' Powerstroke, 00' Powerstroke, 04' Cummins, 05' Cummins(still have) and a 06' Cummins(just got). You can't beat them. The Powerstrokes were the 7.3's which were a better motor than the 6.0's. Diesel is the way togo in a heavy pickup. Someone mentioned Nissan I Don't Think So. Not a real truck.

·
Registered
430 Posts
[Q]THOMAS70 originally wrote:
Diesel is the way togo. I have had a 96' Powerstroke, 00' Powerstroke, 04' Cummins, 05' Cummins(still have) and a 06' Cummins(just got). You can't beat them. The Powerstrokes were the 7.3's which were a better motor than the 6.0's. Diesel is the way togo in a heavy pickup. Someone mentioned Nissan I Don't Think So. Not a real truck.
[/Q]Toyota power is the way to go not nissan...just hard to keep that puppy on the road w/all the power[tongue]

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I gonna tell you right now, diesel prices are not lower. In the past they were but these days, it depends on the time of the year and location.

Where I live, diesel is usually cheaper then reg gas but if you buy diesel in parts of MD where they are NOT using reforulated gas, reg gas is cheaper. Also during the winter months, diesel is more expensive because gas usage drops but diesel usage sky rockets due to it because the same as #2 home heating fuel.

Now, I need to say a few things. Cummins is NOT, I repeat, NOT owned by Dodge. DC does own Mercedes diesels and I think Detroits but does NOT own Cummins. As for not being able to get a Cummins in a Ford; Wrong! You can get a Cummins in larger Ford trucks, I think starting with the F550 as an option.

The Cummins 5.9L ISB is a tried a true engine. It's been used and has held up in pickup usage for around 20 years. Even longer in other euipment like farm vehicles. The current diesels used by Ford and GM have not been in use for even half that time. Also The 5.9 ISB is rated as a medium duty motor but the 6L PSD and the Durmax are rated light duty diesels.

I must tell you I own a Dodge with the Cummins. I wanted a Ford F250 with the 6L PSD, but every one I test drove had problems (Surging, smoking, no power at take off. I have to assume most of the problems is due to International using Cat's HEUI injection). In fact, because I wanted the F250, I waited for over a year waiting for Ford to correct the problems. But because I kept reading about all the problems over at the diesel stop (Ford diesel forum), I deceided to test drive a Dodge, knowing the Cummins was a great motor. Well, it only took me one, yes one, test drive to sign on the dotted line for the Dodge.

I don't care what some say about the Dodge, but the truck is solid, and no worse then a Ford since body design seems to be a personal preference. I'd guess that if Ford and Dodge swapped bodies, without the public knowing, you'd still have Ford lovers saying the Dodge was junk.

Getting back to the point, to pull a 22 to 24 foot boat, you don't need a diesel. If you're looking for MPG, the diesel is the way to go, but remember you might endup paying for for diesel at the pump then you do for gas. Plus, most diesel pumps are dirty, so make sure you carry gloves with you.

Good luck with whatever you chose and take everyones opinions, including mine, with a grain of salt. Test drive everything before you make your decision then after you know what you want, test drive multiple vehicles of that make/model on the lot since every vehicle will run slightly different.

- Dae

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
[Q]Slipsinker originally wrote:
If I was in the market for a new tow vehicle and it had to be a PU truck the Ford F-350 DRW with the Trailer Brake Controller would be my choice hands down.[grin]

[/Q]

Nick,

I know this is off topic but did you know some electric/hydralic units will throw an error on Ford Controller? It has something to do with those magnets what are used and the controller not getting feedback from them. The Tekonsha Prodigy controller has the same problem, which makes me that Ford is using the Tekonsha.

BTW, the if Ford is using the Tekonsha Prodigy rebadged as theirs, it's was an excellevt move on there part since the Prodigy is highly reguarded by the RV crowd.

- Dae

·
Banned
1,466 Posts
I second that Batabbom, I have a 2006 F-250 6.0L diesel. I have 1470 miles and I am very happy. It is a great towing truck and I would recommend it to anyone.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Ronnie -

At least there seems to be one point on which people agree here. That is, if you you really think you are going to be hauling around a 22' - 24' boat you will want a full size truck. Getting the boat moving isn't an issue really. It's stopping the boat, and keeping it safely behind you while you're underway that necessitate the bigger truck.

If you are just talking about pulling the boat around the block to the local ramp, you may be able get away with a mid-size truck. Also, if the 22' boat happens to be a flats boat or bass boat, a mid-size will likely be OK.

I pull a 23' Deep V center console and I wouldn't want to do it with anything other than a full size truck. I use a 3/4 Suburban and feel pretty good about it, but there are some days I wish I had more.

Good luck with your search.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts