Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy New Year All --- I'd like to solicit your opinions on the best waders available for surf fishing. Thanks in advance for advice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Try White River breathables from Bass Bro Shops! Get the fleece liners you'll be toasty in that cold ocean water![wink]

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
The cheapest you can find without a hole in them [grin].

Seriously, sooner or later even the best waders will get a hole in them so pay your money and take your chances.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you're not worrying about 'best for the buck', then go with the Simms. And if you really don't care about the money, buy the Simms G3--the standard by which all breathable waders are judged.

·
Registered
707 Posts
best waders by far are llbean west branch. i have had them for 3 years and have relly put them through some abuse - no holes. and it has the llbean warranty.

mike

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Whitewater breathablesare inexpensive and quite durable. Have used mine for duck hunting for three years and they have yet to bust a seam or leak.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
depends what water temerature u plan on going in. for virginia u need 2 pairs - one for winter (neoprene) and one for spring and fall/summer (breatheable). spend the extra money and buy a good pair - u get what u pay for. if u buy some cheapo stuff u will be miserable while the guy next to u who paid a little extra is perfectly comfortable. and for heavens sake dont buy something with the boots already attached.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Gentlemen, Thanks. I bought a pair of Patagonia SST breathable stockingfoot waders on ebay. This was my FIRST time participating in the ebay exchange. It was GREAT! The seller shipped them right way.

I am going back to ebay to grab the Simms G3 waders which should support cold weather surffishing. I am excited. Again, I really appreciate the comments and advice from ALL. Good luck fishing throughout the year.

·
Registered
6 Posts
[Q]gus originally wrote:
depends what water temerature u plan on going in. for virginia u need 2 pairs - one for winter (neoprene) and one for spring and fall/summer (breatheable). spend the extra money and buy a good pair - u get what u pay for. if u buy some cheapo stuff u will be miserable while the guy next to u who paid a little extra is perfectly comfortable. and for heavens sake dont buy something with the boots already attached.
[/Q]

Gus,

You don't need 2 pairs in VA or anywhere. Buy the summer pair and where fleece pants during the winter. Problem solved. [grin]

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
pauky i have to disagree with u on that one. ive done plenty of fishing here and trust me, u will be WAY more comfortable in january or february or march up to your waist in 5 mil neoprene rather than 2 pairs of long underwear 2 pairs of sweat pants and some thin breatheables and 3 pairs of socks..... your feet stay much much warmer too and wont be cramped. id rather be warm and comforatble than cold and not. i dont like numb toes. i fish too much and to go out there without the right equipment. i use my breathables for the summer when there are jellyfish and also flyfishing in the cool tailwaters in the warmer months. this guys sounds like hes got the money so why skimp?

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
bj - make sure u get the correct sized boots - if they are too small or if they shrink u will be very uncomfortable, also u will need gaiters to keep the sand outta ur boots, a little sand will get in front of your toes and ruin your day. when i wade way out and am on a sand bar i dont wann have to go wading all the way back to shore to dump the boots. hope this helps. [smile]

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Gus and Pauky -- Again, Thanks. I've logged 21 years in the US Navy and still going. Goal is to make 30 years. I've gone from E1 - E7 and from 01E to 04 my Uncle Sam pays me "good" wages. I ensure my family is well taken care of for the separation endured by my chosen occupation. Once those priorities are covered and the family is HAPPY; I spend my hard earned "tax free and sea pay" on good stuff recommended by smart persons like you both. I read a great deal on layering, winter and spring wader, stocking foot vs. bootfoot, etc.... Your insight has really helped me make a good decision. Best Regards!

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
GOOD DEAL - i hope they work out for u well. if u r new to wading here, be carefull in the inlets as they can be dangerous.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts